Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:20:38 AM

Author Topic: Suggested OS  (Read 7045 times)

Suggested OS
« on: January 25, 2018, 08:26:29 PM »
Hi folks.
I have 2 pc's that I bought from a financial institution in town along with several monitors.
Both pc's are Dell with enough processor and memory for Mach4 but both are loaded with Vista.
What would you suggest for an OS ?
I'd like to have one on my machine and one on my desk for cad/cam and such. Neither would be online (internet).

I see 10 Pro is 200 bucks a clip.

Newest thing I have here is XP Pro. 

Thanks,
Russ
Re: Suggested OS
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 08:49:18 PM »
I have been using windows 7 with great success on all of my CNC machines. I am upgrading from XP to Win7 on all the existing machine computers and when I build a new computer as well.

My daily computer is windows 10 with as much junk turned off as possible.

Mike

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 09:50:20 PM »
Running Windows 10 here.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 10:23:45 PM »
I've got a 7 - 32bit disc that I bought a few years back for a machine but never used it. Used a PLC instead.
Will it load on 2 pcs?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 10:30:00 PM »
Hi,
my machine has Windows7 Embedded Standard 32 bit, has been fine.

Until recently my laptop was Windows8 but it had a meltdown. As I had a licence for Windows7 Embedded I loaded
that onto my laptop, 32 bit. May have been a mistake, only effectively have 2.5G RAM despite 8 G being fitted.
Have had trouble trying to fire up Machs Lathe profile.

Will over the weekend try my machine just to see whether the 32bit Windows7 Emmbedded is adequate to allow
Machs Lathe profile to load.

It seems that the GUI load but my laptop trips up when loading the canned cycle module and the lathe panel.
Have yet to work out how to overcome that limitation, it does load OK from time to time, and once it loads it runs
fine. I have to hold my tongue to the left!

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 11:30:40 PM »
Thanks Craig, that's encouraging.
I'm anxious to try 7 out tomorrow.

Please post how well you got along.

Regards,
Russ
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 12:36:51 AM »
Hi,
no trouble with Win7 32bit except when loading the lathe profile. I thought it was a memory issue but maybe its a firewall or virus problem...haven't
sorted it out yet.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 12:51:27 AM »
Maybe graphics ?
Gads of images in those wizards.

Maybe reload lathe without the wizards and see how it runs.
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 06:14:39 AM »
I've got a 7 - 32bit disc that I bought a few years back for a machine but never used it. Used a PLC instead.
Will it load on 2 pcs?

It will load on as many PCs as you want but you will a different "COA" for each one. I have had good luck buying Win7 COAs on eBay for short money and they work when activating windows through Microsoft. I was leary that they were fake so I tried one and it worked so I bought 3 more and 2 have worked so far. I haven't tried to install the third one yet.

Mike.
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 06:35:38 AM »
Coming from an IT background as opposed to any Mach 4 specific issues, I'd recommend you go with either Windows 7 or Windows 10.

Vista and Windows 8.1 are both best avoided.

Windows 10 doesn't require any more processing power than Windows 7 so if you had a straight choice between the two, go with 10. However, the cost may be a factor although I'm not sure if you can even legitimately buy 7 anymore?