Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:44:01 PM

Author Topic: Threading w/MACH4 Hobby Lathe  (Read 3430 times)

Threading w/MACH4 Hobby Lathe
« on: January 18, 2018, 11:45:55 PM »
Hi folks, I have questions regarding the threading wizard. Specifically, the leadout.
I'm running the demo so can't post any code but this is threading code from another recent post.

N0085 G76 P030060 Q0.02 R0.005 K0
N0090 G76 X0.36 Z-0.75 R0 P0.135 Q0.02 F0.0769

So this is the G76 2 block type referenced starting page 30 in the manual. (Very nice, btw)
The user selected a straight pullout .. P**00**

The motion controller handles the actual cycle ? is this correct ? and can vary between different products ?

If any of you have threaded successfully, can you tell me which controller you are using and most importantly, does the tool retract WITHOUT cutting a groove around the stock ? ie: does the z maintain its feedrate during the pullout ?

And if you programmed P**02** would the pitch carry through the leadout ? like the attached (ignoring the taper).

I understand that slow accelerations can adversely affect this and that running a slower rpm can help. I could never get good results using Mach3.

Thanks,
Russ
Re: Threading w/MACH4 Hobby Lathe
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 05:20:24 AM »
Hi Russ,
Watching with interest.
Mach 4 with a Hiconn Hobby board. I will post my results here when I actually try to thread with mine.
All I need to do is figure out the spindle encoder wiring.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 06:20:16 AM »
Here is a test part i cut on my recently converted Emco C5 CNC. There is a leadout programmed (and on the part) but I didn't try if i can control it exactly the way I want.
It is Pokeys 57 CNC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slgc3uVAEUo

Martin
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:34:00 AM by Penguin »
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 07:47:15 AM »
Hi Martin, that appears to be running quite well, nice job.
If you do more testing ...
I would be interested 1 clear closeup photo of that threads leadout with something like P**30** programmed. And a look at one with 00 , straight pullout programmed
Thanks for the response.
Regards,
Russ
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 07:53:08 AM »
Hi Russ,
Watching with interest.
Mach 4 with a Hiconn Hobby board. I will post my results here when I actually try to thread with mine.
All I need to do is figure out the spindle encoder wiring.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'm looking fwd to it.
I'm considering the PMDX product line. Have inquired with Steve, but have not gotten a definitive answer yet.
Good luck with the encoder. What count per rev are you using ?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 06:40:53 PM »
I don't know. It is the stock encoder on a DynaMyte DM3000H lathe.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 09:12:39 PM »
We have the HiCON and are threading on one of our lathes.  Using an encoder with 300 Counts Per Rev.  Its working just fine.  We have our own program that generates the code to OD the part, undercut, and thread all in one go.  I will have to look and see what G Code we are actually using.  But as far as the HiCON with an encoder to get an accurate Spindle RPM, it is working very well.
Chad Byrd
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 09:28:32 PM »
Hi Chad,
Thanks for the information. That just makes me want to get it up and threading even sooner!

Mike