Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:03:42 PM

Author Topic: First time problem  (Read 6507 times)

First time problem
« on: July 07, 2007, 03:45:18 AM »
Hi All,
Well it's been a year since I put my mill package together and never had any issues, Until now.
All I did was move the darned machine into a shop across town, and now I'm having some weirdness
with Mach2. Are these related?
1- once I press the shift key to Rapid Jog, it sticks. Can't get out of shift mode without restarting Mach.
2- the rotate function (in view window) will seize leaving me with only zoom.
3- the Alt commands lock up at the same time as Shift, see #1.

And finally as if that weren't enough, while X & Y axis seem to be OK, Z axis will not keep position and has
done some damage by trying to run itself into the table. While the first 3 issues seem to sort of get corrected
(albeit temporarily) by reloading Mach, this one does not.

I'm going in tomorrow to try to get to bottom it, and probably reinstall Mach2. Any comments or sugestions will
be much appreciated.

Thanks
Evan

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: First time problem
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 10:34:21 PM »
Hey Evan,
    You ever thing about upgrdeing to Mach3? You use the same licenses.  :) You will have to manually put all of the settings in though. A xml from Mach 2 will not work in Mach 3. Did you happen to hook up a wireless network after moving the machine?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 11:43:32 PM »
No, When I started this little journey I asked Art which was most stable and that was Mach2, only because Mach3 was
still in Beta.

Since then, I never had a need to look into it, as I said before, all was running great!

As to your Q re wireless; I was already plugged into a wirless router before, and now I am also plugged into a different wireless router
in the shop I moved into. The other PC that was talking to this CNC PC is there as well. Although these two PC's are NOT wireless, using ethernet. That connection is fine, I'm able to retrieve Gcode files that I've saved out from CAM on the other PC.

Is there a known issue with wireless?

BTW, Im not opposed to moving to Mach3, I was only hoping to do that when I didn't parts waiting to be made.

Thanks for your help

Evan
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 09:52:44 PM »
It will work fine you just need to have the Gcode file on the local machine... Please DO NOT run the file over the network!!!!!

That should do it :)

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 10:05:44 PM »
Evan,
   If it was running fine before the move, something has changed as you stated. Some wireless networks give trouble, some don't. The one I had did, big, bad, weird trouble. I think any can be made to work but to trouble shoot it, I would disable it for now and see if it helps.

Brett

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 12:20:05 AM »
Hi Brett,
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Hey Brian thanks for chiming in, although it never occured to me to even try run the code over the network until
you brought it up. Is the lag time too rediculous? or is there another issue you were thinking of?

This leads me on to two other questions:

Will moving to Mach3 solve this wireless corrupting network issue?

If I were to track this down to a Networking issue, and Mach3 is not the solution,
What is the workaround? Do I create a local network that isn't associated with any other for the
express purpose of file tranferring?

This is getting interesting...

Thanks guys

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 01:52:08 AM »
Hey Evan,
   I don't think that moving to Mach 3 would fix the problem if it is network related, not certain though. Here is a link to a search I did on networks. i thin some networks mess with the PC timing.
http://www.artsoftcontrols.com/forum/index.php?action=search2;params=YnJkfCd8fCJ8c2hvd19jb21wbGV0ZXwnfHwifHN1YmplY3Rfb25seXwnfHwifHNlYXJjaHwnfG5ldHdvcmt8Inxzb3J0fCd8cmVsZXZhbmNlfCJ8c29ydF9kaXJ8J3xkZXNj;start=60
Brett

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 08:50:33 AM »
To stop the timing problems you need to lock the speed of your network card. set the card to be a 10Meg/sec and I think you will be all set :)

You can't run the file over the network because it is a memory mapped file, it has to be this way because of how mach3 reads the data..

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 09:55:16 PM »
Hey Brian!
It seems yo da man! 8)

I set the card to run @ 10baseT, half duplex.

I ran the machine for a little while and then left it alone for the rest of day. It seems that the problem has gone
away. :D

Thanks soo much!

Is there reference you can point me to for understanding what this was all about? Brett, I did start to look at the link
you sent, thanks.

Thanks again to both
Evan

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 10:22:49 PM »
Good to hear Evan. Could you tell me what brand wireless network you have set up?

Brett