Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 02:33:03 AM

Author Topic: Cool CNC Features  (Read 3756 times)

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
Re: Cool CNC Features
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 03:29:47 AM »
Spindle load - my spindle is driven by a brushed DC motor. I stuck an ammeter in the circuit.
Normally it shows < 0.5 A. I was drilling titanium one day a bit too fast, and the ammeter got up to about 6 A. Oops! Change of Feed rate.
An AC ammeter on the input to the VFD?

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 04:22:58 AM »
Many VFDs can output an analog signal that tells you the current or other interesting things. All you have to do is read it. If you are using Modbus then I believe it can be read that way too.
One of my projects it to read the spindle current and servo load using my analog inputs on my DSPMC.
Could probably be done on an Arduino and then sent into Mach via Modbus. IIRC Mach 4 allows for more than one slave.
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 12:17:05 AM »
My main point is that you don't have to send the info back to Mach. You can stick it on an analog panel meter as a totally passive display, somewhere out front. I find that works just fine.

Cheers
Roger

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 03:12:13 AM »
My Bosch VFD has an extension kit that allows you to mount the VFD display on a panel elsewhere.
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 05:55:30 AM »
My main point is that you don't have to send the info back to Mach. You can stick it on an analog panel meter as a totally passive display, somewhere out front. I find that works just fine.

Cheers
Roger

Hi Roger,
My main point is that you can and have it display on the Computer screen, no need for a separate display.
You can even tie it to the feed override and if the spindle load gets too high you can slow the feedrate to compensate.

Both ways of doing it have their place.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 10:43:32 AM »
That would be neat.