Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 09:00:07 AM

Author Topic: Setting to millimeters  (Read 6147 times)

Re: Setting to millimeters
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 05:39:54 AM »
Using the default wx4 screen set instead of my own, JogUnitsMode reverts to imperial but JogMode remains at incremental following configuration, so a 1mm jog becomes 25.4mm as Robert observes. 

Allan
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 09:57:50 AM »
I think I may have been mistaken in concluding that Mach had set the jog mode to continuous after a configuration. The issue may have been the way my use of the registers core/inst/JogIntx … interacted with Mach. This could result in a supposed 1mm jog causing a movement of 254mm, sending me diving for the eStop in an irrational panic rather than just letting the machine run on and operate the limits if need be.

The problem with JogUnitsMode remains real, however, and occurs not just after Mach configuration but at any time mcProfileReload is executed. Though the profile does not contain any obvious reference to jog units, somehow this gets reset following a profile  load. So caution is needed if this API call is used in scripts.

Allan
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:59:36 AM by Fledermaus »

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2017, 03:54:31 AM »
I have tried for the last couple of hours to recreate a fault using metric and cannot reproduce any of this,

when starting mach4 or when you enter and exit the screen editor it will run the screen load script, its from here that the jog mode gets reverted back to continuous so just a small tweak can fix this.
Check your mach4 config, at the bottom you have initialization codes, make sure you haven't got a G20 within those boxes other than that I would suggest going to the help menu and packaging your profile and uploading, you will be surprised how quick a new set of eyes can pinpoint anything that is out of place.

DazTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2017, 04:04:47 AM »
This has nothing to do with the screen editor.  To reproduce the problem:

1.  Go to Configure|Mach, General Tab.  Set Machine Setup Units to Metric, and Units Mode to Metric.  Save and exit Mach 4.
2.  Load Mach4, Enable, set Button Jog Mode to Incremental, and Incremental Jog Step to 1.0000.  Test jog any direction and you will notice it goes 1mm for every button press.
3.  Disable
4.  Go to Configure|Mach, Motors Tab.  Select any motor and change any setting and save.
5.  Enable and test jog any direction and you will notice it goes 25.4mm instead of 1mm for every button press.  G21 is always set once you change the Units Mode and Machine Setup to Metric.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 04:07:21 AM by RBeaubien »
- Robert Beaubien
- Drone Plastics
-
“Dear Algebra, Please stop asking us to find your X.  She's never coming back and don't ask Y.”

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2017, 04:25:14 AM »
Well yep after following exactly the above I can get it to go 25.4mm, as a quick fix after coming out of the config enable the machine and press reset. This will initialize the unit back to metric and save shutting down mach4.

DazTheGas
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2017, 04:29:17 AM »
Kewl.  Thanx for the work around.
- Robert Beaubien
- Drone Plastics
-
“Dear Algebra, Please stop asking us to find your X.  She's never coming back and don't ask Y.”
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2017, 05:32:45 AM »
I completely agree with Robert.

Daz
Great workaround that never occurred to me. To smooth things a little further, I have added the following to the Enable button Down script:

local inst = mc.mcGetInstance()
mc.mcCntlReset(inst)

This seems to do the trick but I just wondered if you can see any downside to it

Allan

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2017, 05:49:10 AM »
There prob will be a downside like it will reset things like spindlespeed back to 0 etc everytime you enable the machine.

DazTheGas
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2017, 05:51:47 AM »
Thanks Daz, I will keep an eye on it.

Allan
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2018, 10:23:09 PM »
I see this still hasn't been fixed in the latest version of MACH4.  Anyway to get Artsoft's attention on this?
- Robert Beaubien
- Drone Plastics
-