Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:24:45 PM

Author Topic: Confusion about home switch location  (Read 1642 times)

Confusion about home switch location
« on: December 09, 2017, 04:35:09 PM »
Hello. My x axis homes to the left....  meaning the table moves to the left when homing. When i look at the machine extents, the x axis appears to be reversed. It seems like mach 4 wants my x home switch on the other side and then all would be good. Is there was way to remedy this with out moving switches around? I have tried home offset, but it would appear i'm missing something...

- Nick
Re: Confusion about home switch location
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 06:19:10 PM »
Have you tried Configure->Mach->Homing/SoftLimits and changing the axis home dir from pos to neg or vice versa?

HTH

RT
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 02:23:13 AM »
Hi,
it doesn't really matter where the home switches are with 'home offset' you can effectively nominate any location as your home or reference position.

When you hit <Ref All> each axis in turn drives until its home switch activates, then it backs off until the home switch deactivates and THEN......
it can do one of two things:
1) It can set the machine co-ordinate for the axis as zero....or
2) It can set the machine co-ordinate as your home offset per your designation.

Imagine you have home switch on your X axis 50mm from the lefthand end. When referencing if you select option 1) above the machine co-ordinate at that
location would be 0. So your X axis can range from -50 at the extreme left to (max-50) at the extreme right. This would work fine but its likely to be confusing,
a reference location that is not in the centre or at either end is not that logical.

You could choose option 2) and nominate your X home offset as 50mm. Under this circumstance when the machine homes the X axis it drives until the home
switch activates as normal but it resets the machine co-ordinates to 50. If you then jogged the axis further to the left the machine co-ords would reduce
until you were at or near the limit switch at the extreme left of the axis at X machine co-ordinate 0. Note that the axis does not drive anywhere unusual or
anything like that it just resets the machine co-ordinate to some value other than 0. This has the effect of saying that the machine zero is 50mm from the
home switch.

May I suggest experimenting a bit. Put some different values in the X home offset on the homing page and watch what happens. Make sure that your DROs
are displaying machine co-ordinates. With some offset see which way and by how much you would have to jog to bring the X axis machine co-ord to zero.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 01:06:56 PM »
Thank you all! Im still new to all the machine configuration, I figured it out after some fiddling and head scratching, learning a lot in the process. it basically boiled do to things not moving the right way.. so now they move the right and things are good!  :D  Appreciate all the great information guys.

- Nick