Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:24:04 AM

Author Topic: X & Y motors mounted backwards, how to orient everything??  (Read 1650 times)

X & Y motors mounted backwards, how to orient everything??
« on: December 03, 2017, 04:52:42 PM »
I have my Y axis motor on the back of the machine, X axis motor on the right side. you'd think just checking 'reverse' in homing/limits would be all it takes right? unfortunately, no :( :(

its either 1 thing or another. the jogging is backwards, the table display, or the actual parts. is there any way to actually make this work?

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: X & Y motors mounted backwards, how to orient everything??
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 11:18:01 PM »
Stand at the machine, so that the X axis is moving left to right.
When you jog in the X+ direction, the spindle should move to the right, and the DRO's should be counting up. The toolpath display should also show movement from left to right.

When you jog the Y axis, the spindle should move away from you, with the DRO's counting up. And again, the toolpath should match.

This assumes a moving gantry type machine, where the spindle is moving.

When questions like this come up, 99.9% of the time, the issue is the machine is setup with one or more axis moving the  wrong way, even though the user thinks it's right.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:04:48 AM »
Hi,
you can define it anyway you please but there is a conventional assignment as ger21 has just pointed out. If you ever go to import some Gcode or get a wizard
to make code for you you'll need to stick to the conventional setup. It can be confusing.

A little tip that may help while you get it settled is to take an A4  size piece of paper and draw on it the X Y Cartesiasn co-ords just like a graph you did at school
and put that down on the mill table.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 02:10:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I finally got it figured out.

I admit, part the reason was the fixed gantry confusing me (total newbie mistake). When the table was moving my mind wasn't on the same page as the table display. it assumes a moving gantry basically. hope that makes sense. so glad to get over this hurdle :)

jogging, table display, and actual parts work as expected now. I just have to keep reminding myself the crosshair is the spindle location on the table, and the gantry isn't moving hahhaa
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 02:14:22 PM by scott0999 »