Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:17:48 AM

Author Topic: Motion Controller recommendation  (Read 6965 times)

Re: Motion Controller recommendation
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 03:30:07 PM »
They also say no MACH4 support for USB.
- Robert Beaubien
- Drone Plastics
-
“Dear Algebra, Please stop asking us to find your X.  She's never coming back and don't ask Y.”
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »
https://www.poscope.com/product-category/cables-accessories/
I bought the pokeys cable and plug acc. Kit too.
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 03:52:27 PM »
Hi,
that is correct, the FPGA on the previous model USB SmoothSteppers is smaller and somewhat less capable than the ESS.
Warp9 hope to release a plugin for the USB version to run Mach4 but are focused on completeing the ESS plugin.

The ESS has been on the market for some years, do you not suppose that there would have been a major backlash had
it not been capable of controlling a spindle? It does in fact control a spindle perfectly adequately, depending on the breakout
board you've selected to partner it, and is one of the most popular external motion controllers for either Mach3 or Mach4.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 04:10:17 AM »
I use the ESS with PMDX and Mach4, it is rock solid! and it controls my spindle.

For what it's worth, I did a lot of homework prior to building my CNC machine control box & I came to the conclusion that (like many things in life) there isn't a reliable "All-in-one" solution that will deliver much horsepower. Frankly, i wouldn't want one anyway. I'd hate to replace the whole thing because one stepper motor driver burned up.
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 10:30:08 AM »
We have used the ESS from Warp9 and the HiCON Integra from Vital Systems. 
I'm a big fan of the HiCON Integra from Vital Systems.  It is rock solid and gives you 24V I/O, Spindle Control, Backlash, and very good support.
The ESS is reliable with Mach4, we have some small issues with Mach3, but so far with Mach4 it has been very reliable.  The ESS is very good for the Cost.
Chad Byrd
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 01:24:27 PM »
I have settled (unfortunately) on the POKEYS57CNC board.  It's all in one and seems well supported.  The ribbon connectors on it are horrible, and seem like something out of the 80s, but I will make do with them.  

The lack of access to the API leaves me with very few options.

Thanx for all the suggestions.

Rob
- Robert Beaubien
- Drone Plastics
-
“Dear Algebra, Please stop asking us to find your X.  She's never coming back and don't ask Y.”