Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:52:46 AM

Author Topic: Real 4th axis software for tilting spindle? Not trunnion table way...  (Read 4208 times)

Offline Frank1959

•  38 38
  • Do it, it´ll free your mind.
    • View Profile
    • Monumental Sculpture
Hi,
I built a 3 axis milling machine 2 years ago with also has a rotary (A) axis, for milling polystyrene and polyurethane foam, it works fine. I use DESKPROTO to generate the g-codes, and of course Mach (3) to control my machine. Some of my work at www.franknorton.com.
Now I want to build a milling machine for marble and other stones. I´d like it to have a real fourth axis; that is, I´d like the spindle to actually tilt, and so get to under cuts on the material I´m milling.
A full 5 axis machine seems to be too complex mechanically....eventually I´d like to, but I want to be more realistic with my next build.
The spindle could tilt either parallel to the X or the Y axis, it doesn’t concern me at this stage.
DESKPROTO can´t generate g-codes for this kind of machine; it can for 5 axis index machine, where you tilt your work piece on a rotary trunnion table.
This is complicated while milling big pieces, a more straightforward approach seems to me to be for the spindle to do the tilting, so as to get to those hidden undercuts.
But I need a software package to generate my g-codes.
Any ideas? I don’t mind paying a reasonable amount of money.
Thanks!
Frank Norton.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Real 4th axis software for tilting spindle? Not trunnion table way...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 02:00:56 AM »
Hi Frank,

This thread may be of interest; http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,32107.0.html

I don't know if his plugin was ever completely finished but you could perhaps contact Richard for details.

PEACE

Offline Frank1959

•  38 38
  • Do it, it´ll free your mind.
    • View Profile
    • Monumental Sculpture
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 12:32:53 PM »
many thanks Tweakie, will check it out with interest.

Frank

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 04:54:43 PM »
Hi Frank

Of great interest!
I am currently using a 4-axis machine to machine granite and basalt, but that is still in the early stages. The 4th axis is a B axis (parallel to y axis), although I usually call it the A axis. Mach3 does not seem to notice the difference. I am now adding a different 4th axis to the table - a sort of C axis as that can make some things MUCH easier to program.

I have looked at the options for a tilting spindle, but I was not able to find affordable CAM SW with that option, at the time. Ideas?

Your web site does not have an English version! Sob. A lot of work to add it, but ...

Cheers
Roger

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 05:40:26 PM »
If you wont Indexing 4 + 1 and 4 + 2 Roger  Fusion 360 can do it just not the proper 4th axis continuous (it's wrap that it has at the moment) yet this is not that far away from getting added it has 2 5 axis toolpaths at the moment that work ok.  there is 3 more 5 axis toolpaths coming plus they can be used for 4th axis as well, they are in HSM and Inventor HSM beta they don't work in Fusion cam beta yet

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 05:55:20 PM »
Hi dude1

No interest in indexing, only in genuine 4 and 5 axis stuff. After all, Mach3 handles full 6 axis work.

Do I understand correctly? Fusion can handle continuous 5 axis but not continuous 4 axis? How ... odd.
When you say two 5-axis toolpaths  with more coming: does this refer to the different ways of physically arranging the hardware? (As in trunnion mount and nodding spindle etc)

Cheers
Roger

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 07:08:37 PM »
Have a read of this https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/compare

yep it got 5 axes continus before 4 axis continuous it has 2 now that work for 5 axis, it will have 2 5 axis toolpaths added and 2 that are 4th axis plus toolpaths.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:13:52 PM by dude1 »

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 08:01:03 PM »
I see. Thanks.
Mind you, right now I have about 3 different CAD systems, and they are all horribly slow compared to doing the design in my head and with AutoSketch, but that's me.

Cheers
Roger

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 08:59:57 PM »
only 3

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 09:43:23 PM »
Only 3
I stopped spending.

Cheers
Roger