Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:50:59 PM

Author Topic: Some general questions about homing  (Read 1420 times)

Some general questions about homing
« on: November 25, 2017, 08:46:21 AM »
Hi,

I am very new to CNC. I have two machines I am trying to learn to operate. I want to develop a standard safe process to cut every part and all necessary setups.
One, a Sherline mill with 9" of X travel running Mach3. ( The Sherline has no home switch and many other limitations.
Two, a Eagle mill with 54" of X travel running Fagor control software. ( The Eagle has most everything except an encoder on the spindle, manual spindle speed control)

So...I ASSUME homing is the  first process that should take place for any machine. Correct?

The Eagle machine homes to the near the limits of quadrant IV. This is not always very convenient due to the long length of travel. I am normally  machining parts of less that 12" X 12"

Can there be more than one home position?

I am very new to G Code programming but I am not having issues with the G Code. I don't have a clear visual idea in my head of the "best practices" steps to take to set up any machine.

Thanks,

Billy

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Some general questions about homing
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 10:16:27 AM »
It's a fair bit of reading but you may find the Members Document on Coordinate Spaces of interest as it relates to your questions and desire to learn. http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=33595.0;attach=46569

Tweakie.
PEACE
Re: Some general questions about homing
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 10:56:23 AM »
Thanks Tweakie,

I took a quick look at the PDF and at first glance it looks to be very readable and easy enough to understand.

Thanks,

Billy