Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:31:13 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 Button OFFLINE  (Read 26863 times)

Mach4 Button OFFLINE
« on: November 22, 2017, 07:04:14 AM »
Hello to the whole forum!
I'm Italian, use google translate.
I'm using Mach4 Lathe.
Very nice program, although it is to be refined at some point.
Unfortunately I miss the OFFLINE button for some simulations.
This feature was present in the old Mach3, which I found very useful.
Is it possible to add this button with its function?
thank you!
Re: Mach4 Button OFFLINE
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »
Hi,
welcome. Mach4s great strength is its ability to be customised and so would be almost assured that such a feature could
be added if its not there already but named differently.

Would you be kind enough to explain what you mean by 'Offline' and what sort of behaviour that you would require of
Mach when its offline?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 03:27:11 AM »
Hi, thank you for the answer.
using the translator I try to synthesize phrases.

I mean working behavior on Mach3 Mill in OFFLINE mode (to make me understand).
By pressing the OFFLINE key, the controller remains perfectly functional virtually, the machine does not perform any physical movement, and no function is activated (coolant pump, etc.).
VERY IMPORTANT, the DRO axes must remain active, in a virtual way.
I programmed a lot on the machine and then simulated in OFFLINE  (with the addition of SINGLE BLOCK function), it helps me to understand if I made mistakes.
When the OFFLINE button is released, the machine must return to active mode.
VERY IMPORTANT, the DRO must return to the initial state of when OFFLINE was activated.

I hope I have been able to explain clearly, as far as I can.
I find Mach4 a great program! I hope to make a long way!

links to some tests with Mach4 Lathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_d9W4G_lUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfgQSPhsIOY
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 04:01:42 AM »
Hi,
yes Mach4 could be made to behave that way.

Do your stepper drivers and your spindle drivers have enable inputs? If they do then it is a simple matter to connect all the enable inputs together,
when you wish the motors to be active assert the enable signal. When you want to go 'offline' de-assert the enable signal and all the motors
would ignore any motion commands.

The only other consideration now is to record the location when you go 'offline' and then write some code to return to that location when going
back 'online'. Note that despite there being no physical movement for Mach to behave normally then the machine position as reflected by the
machine co-ordinates will move per normal. At the end of your 'offline' session the machine co-ords will be different to the actuall machine co-ords
of the point where it stopped. That would be easy and work fine UNLESS you change your work offsets during the session. Then you would physically
have to move the machine the difference between the pre and post work co-ords. Maybe in the first instance require that the work co-ords not change.
At a later date add that function if required.

What sort of motion controller are you using? Trying to estimate the resources your controller might have to spare.

Craig
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 04:12:37 AM »
thanks for help.
As a controller I have a CsLab CSMIO-IP / S
drive Leadshine EL5 AC servo
currently for spindle use VFD Toshiba VF S15 1.5Kw
My preference would be OFFLINE via software (as it is in Mach3)
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 04:32:45 AM »
Hi,
my proposal is a software approach but you still need a way to prevent the motors from turning while having Mach go through all it usual motions.

Are all of the enables joined together or does each servo and/or spindle have its own enable?

Craig
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 04:48:16 AM »
NO, when you turn on the electronics is all enabled, like a classic electronic stepper.
If I disengage the axle motors, I am forced to reset the axes (Reference All Axes, Home) because the DROs are in the wrong position.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 05:19:20 AM »
Hi,
isn't that exactly what you want? If you hit the 'offline' button the motors stop but the DROs keep moving. That, by definition means that the DROs
no longer reflect the actual position of the machine. So long as the machine co-ords are reset to those that applied when you go back 'online' you have
no need to re-reference.

Those servo drivers have an enable input as does the spindle. You need to use it. Whether you chose to have three seperate enable signals or just
one hooked to all three drivers is up to you.

Craig
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 05:56:39 AM »
if they electrically cut the axes lose their position, although they seem fixed, they actually lose a few millimeters (example 0.02 mm) as in a stepping motor.
because the encoder is incremental.
even if you return to the same point with the DROs before reactivating the engine, the measurements will not be corrected as before.
better to do with software, (as does Mach3)
these axes always remain electrically active, keeping the correct position.
In Mach4 I can not find a button or OFFLINE function
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 06:12:27 AM by daniba73 »
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 12:14:42 PM »
Hi.
if you have a look at the Diagnostics tab in Mach3 and jog when 'offline' then you'll find the idea I'm suggesting for Mach4 is the same.

Craig