Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:56:29 PM

Author Topic: Restart Modbus TCP connection  (Read 8720 times)

Restart Modbus TCP connection
« on: November 13, 2017, 02:07:37 AM »
The Modbus TCP plugin works fine, if all devices are already up and running when Mach3 is started.
If a Modbus TCP device is powered on fter the start of Mach3, no connection is established. This leads to irregular function, in worst case to a crash (i.e. VFD does not start spindle...)

I suggest to (at least one or all)
 - reconnect to all activated Modbus devices when reset condition is released
 - automated reconnect to all activated Modbus devices if they fall off
 - automated reconnect to all activated Modbus devices in time periods
 - offer a function to initiate a Modbus reconnect by script
 - offer a function to test for established Modbus connections

Thanks
Uli
Re: Restart Modbus TCP connection
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 05:33:08 AM »
Hi,
great ideas but Mach3 development ceased a couple of years ago and it seems unlikely in the extreme that the TCp plugin will be revisited either.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 07:21:52 AM »
Yes, I guess that's true.
It is a pity, looking at all these happy Mach3 users around and such a small percentage of Mach4 (at least in Germany).

Uli
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 12:10:59 PM »
Hi,
I understand that the way Mach3 developed had made it unwieldy, you might fix one bug but another part of the program relied on current behavior
and so create another fault.

If you haven't tried Mach4 I commend it to you. I haven't found any bugs, I've encountered lots of situations where Mach4 did something one way when I expected
something else, but no actual faults.

Craig
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 02:16:25 PM »
Craig,  I bought Mach3 years ago, it does what I need, everything on my machine is perfectly built and running.
If I had the need to re-learn, re-setup, re-configure and re-inverst in software as well as in hardware (no LPT..), I certainly would first check how it compares to available alternatives.
This is not to blame ArtSoft. I am and always was a strong proponent for Mach3. Maybe that's why I am a bit unhappy to see that this era is coming to an end.

Uli

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 02:54:02 PM »
Hi Uli,
I think you've touched on exactly the reason that Mach4 is being only slowly being taken up...YOU do not
wish to reinvest and relearn.

As for the available alternatives....exactly the same alternatives that exist and compete with Mach3.

Mach3 has reached the end of its life...maintaining and developing it had become a nightmare.

Craig

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 04:12:46 AM »
Although future development of Mach3 has ceased in favour of Mach4 it is far from being Dead.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 04:43:42 AM »
Tweakie,

this is exactly the problem. Users love their Mach3. But in the course of time the world around changes and new ideas and meanwhile common technical solutions cannot be realized due to the lack of further development.

And it is not about ME not willing to learn and innovate. If ths was the case, I wouldn'd ask for better coverage of the Modbus TCP  implementation.
There is a difference between linear innovation (evolution) and the need to jump into a completely new field (revolution).
The second one always asks for an evaluation of alternatives with possibly more options or better cost profile.

For now I want to stick with Mach3. I solved the problem of addressing different Modbus TCP devices ( http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,35651.msg244336.html#msg244336) and maybe I'll find a solution for the reconnection problem. We'll see.

Uli

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 12:48:12 PM »
Hi Uli,
you and Tweakie are both right....Mach3 has a loyal following and is far from dead.

Development has ceased on Mach3 because solving one problem created another problem elsewhere.

Artsoft relies on OEM sales to stay in business. Mach3 is too buggy to be realistically sold to OEM developers ergo Mach4. It is very much more flexible.
Its modular structure means also that an issue in one part does not affect all the other parts. In short it is a software solution that Artsoft can proudly
sell to anyone and OEM developers in particular.

Without sales Artsoft closes and ALL support ceases Mach3 and Mach4 and even this forum ceases....I mean who pays the hosting fees...they are paid out of
sales revenue. While I am a hobbyist I am well aware that Artsoft need to make money to have an existence.

Mach4 is to use very much like Mach3, not much learning involved. You present it as some great big hurdle, its not. Have you actually downloaed and tried it?
You don't need a motion controller, just use Sim(ulator) and you can use for as long as you like for free. You will find its not a 'revolution' at all, new certainly
and with a flexibility that is revolutionary but still a CNC Gcode interpreter just as Mach3 is a Gcode interpreter.

Craig
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 01:59:16 PM »
Craig,

I did not want to start a discussion about the future of ArtSoft. From their standpoint it might look perfectly right to change to Mach4. What they missed is at least offering an attractive upgrade model. They expected their loyal users to buy the software from scratch, pay on top something like double the software value in a motion controller while not keeping all the work spent in the old Mach3 setup. So in total it is more than 4 times of what the users paid for their  Mach3 setup, a lot of work and the risk you always have with the change to a 'totally reworked' software.  This did not work out as you can see in the low penetration of Mach4 in the field.
I don't know the solution for this problem.

Uli