Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:01:17 AM

Author Topic: Work coordinates  (Read 4669 times)

Re: Work coordinates
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 11:18:40 PM »
Gday Craig,
Would like to send you some screen shots and see if you can pick out what I have wrong but cant figure out how to send them in this forum

Trevor
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 11:33:23 PM »
Hi,
take the screen shots.

post to this thread but go to <Additional Options> to the left of the text window browse to your screen pics
folder and attach the files. You can attach up to four files per post but try and keep the individual files a modest
size, less than 300kB if poss.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 11:48:20 PM »
Gday Craig,
Don't seem to have the Additional Options facility.
Can I email you?
Sorry for being a pain.

Trevor
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 02:09:24 AM »
Hi,
<Additional Options> is on the same page as you create the text for a post.

Email is fine but that means I see it and no one else does, I don't need the help...others do and so I wish you to post it so they can benefit too.

Craig
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 03:43:35 AM »
Gday Craig
Just testing
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 03:47:18 AM »
Gday Craig,
Seems to be working
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 03:50:53 AM »
Me AGAIN
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 04:01:13 AM »
Gday Craig.
I am trying to produce a lithophane on a plastic pipe so if you think the cutting file would help I will post it.

Trevor
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 04:42:45 AM »
Hi,
good work with the posting.

I see that you have referenced (homed) the machine, that is good. So what exactly is the problem?

I see for instance that the current work offsets are being applied but they may no longer be relevant to the job on the table at the moment or may be
left over from your last session.

Lets imagine that you've just turned Mach on, referenced and now you want to load a piece of material and cut it. When you place the material in the vice
it will almost certainly not align with the previous work offsets from the last job.

What you do is manually jog to the corner of the material (or wherever on the material that the Gcode 0,0,0 is drafted for) and hit <zero X> and <zero Y>.
Now manually and carefully jog downwards until the tool just touches the surface of the material and hit <zero Z>. The work co-ords of the point are 0,0,0.
The machine co-ords will be different, in fact they will be negative of the difference between the machine zero (your reference or home point) and the
'beginning' point of your Gcode job. Mach cares about machine co-ords but you don't. If you want to see them that's fine but I find they're a source of confusion.

The real value of referencing your machine is now Soft Limits (on Config/Homing-Limits page) make sense. You can have them drawn on the toolpath
display (Config/Toolpath.....check <Machine Boundaries>) and see whether your Gcode job is within the boundaries. If not  shift the material so that you
think it is within bounds, jog to the new 0,0,0 point as before, hit <zero X>,<zero Y> and <zero Z> and <Regen Toolpath> and you can now confirm that you
shifted the material enough and in the right direction to bring it within bounds.

This is a very simple procedure, no need to do any calculations or manually enter numbers into DROs just jog to the 'origin' of your part and zero your axes.
What actually happens is the work offsets get updated to negative the difference between your new intended work 0,0,0 and the machine zero (home point).
Easy really...but it takes a little practice before the simplicity and elegance of it become plain.

Craig
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 05:34:30 AM »
Gday Craig,
The problem is when I set my work coordinates and run a cutting file the Z axis does not move to where I set it . X&Y work fine.
Plus I noticed when cutting a flat file (not rotary)it doesn't cut the same orientation as it looks on Vectrics .
Thanks for your patience.

Trevor