Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 02:59:43 AM

Author Topic: How to resume cutting from a spot where axis motors stopped  (Read 2336 times)

How to resume cutting from a spot where axis motors stopped
« on: October 24, 2017, 05:26:25 PM »
my machine axis motors stopped moving , I could see the gcode line in Mach 3 still continuing scrolling down. I stopped the feed and then clicked on Stop button. Noted the gcode line# .My power supply felt very hot .Suspect its overheating caused the motors to stop moving. SHUT EVERYHTING DOWN TO LET COOL OFF.

Saved fixtures work offset before shut down all.

I know where on material the motors stopped .How do I start from that spot again in mach 3 after all is cool down again? Don't want to have to restart from very beginning again as program was about 4 minutes from finishing .
Been looking in the manual but cant seem to find a direction in there . Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Andy
Re: How to resume cutting from a spot where axis motors stopped
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 05:40:48 PM »
First you will have to pick up X0, Y0, and Z0 exactly as when a motor fault occurs your true location is gone forever. Then scroll down to where the problem occured and then back up to some point where the tool is above the part.  Turn the feed and rapid overrides way down so the machine moves very slowly. Put Mach 3 in single block then try ‘Start from here’ and be prepared for a crash! Single block should allow to to step through the  code one step at a time. Good luck!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 05:51:11 PM »
no problem to reference start as I have my x0 and Y0 zeros on work offset .Was thinking of zeroing z an inch or so above where was original zeroed so the bit wont touch material but I can see where on screen and above material it is as scroll thru program.. So if I understood correctly, as I scroll down thru the program i'll see on the display where the x/y crosshairs are on the part along with the z arrow as it plunges in z passes . Let me go try it out .
Thanks

A
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:09:27 PM »
Hi,
the 'run from here' code has caused innumerable crashes over the years...it does work but you need to practice some
until your happy with the logic sequence...and just because you think it should work this way DOES NOT mean it does
work that way.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 07:41:56 PM »
Hi,
if you can get your head around how Mach goes about it preparatory move you are more than half way home.

When you hit <run from here> Mach does a dummy run of the Gcode to that point so it knows what the modal settings
are and the position on the toolplath just prior the the 'run from here' line. Mach will ask to do a preparatory move to go
from where the machine is currently to where it needs to be to start at the line you have nominated.

As garylucas has pointed out; if the preparatory move is to a point above the work surface all well and good, if its below
the surface the tool will drive to that location in linear co-ordinated fashion and gouge your work or break something.
For this reason there are a couple of options within the Preparatory Move dialogue to overcome that shortcoming.
If at this point you think 'this must be a bug in Mach' you're wrong, its the way Mach is and you have to learn to use it as is,
no whinging and moaning...no one will listen.

Craig
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 09:08:27 PM »
The mind reader function still doesn’t work well either.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 09:34:35 PM »
Hi garylucas,
probably just as bloody well....LOL

Craig
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 09:46:58 PM »
Hi,
there is no 'run from here' function in Mach4. There is all sorts of API calls that you can use to make it happen
but Artsoft have very wisely left it to each user to program how they want their machine to operate.
'Run from Here' must have just about caused more complaints to Artsoft than just about any other and
this is a perfect way of avoiding all that rubbish.

Craig
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 01:23:46 AM »
Hi,
I double checked and there is a 'run from here' button in Mach4, I've never used it! Will have to experiment with it to see if it behaves as Mach3 did.

Craig