Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 01:01:45 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 4th axis assistance Is Mach4 better for this?  (Read 3796 times)

Re: Mach3 4th axis assistance Is Mach4 better for this?
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 01:37:26 PM »
One other thing, I carefully researched 4th axis on this blog, prior to starting this addition, the only surprise was that controller stopped working altogether after I eliminated the config tool path for 4th axis and used the z axis for the radius calculation.  Either the power requirements were too much for the system or the BOB.  All LED's showed normal but no motion.  Voltages appeared correct, don't have an oscilloscope.  When I tried the Smooth Stepper BOB (piggy back) still no motion.  I didn't try the C-11 on the KL stepper drivers, i wasn't willing to risk ruining it.  So I need to test the drivers independently although they are opti-isolated and probably should be fine, no LED errors.  Voltages appeared to be correct on the C-10 outputs as well.

This has been a real puzzle.  Could have been a power spike don't remember one, but I have everything on power strips.  I don't know other than one successful pass and then nothing worked over a period of two days, beginning with the x axis.  then the Y then  the A then the Z.
Re: Mach3 4th axis assistance Is Mach4 better for this?
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 10:07:09 PM »
SOLUTION IS FOUND.  The ebay 80mm and 100mm 4th axis wont work if you have too many steps.  I was set to 10 MS on my Geckodrives.  I changed after a lot of consideration and consternation to 5 MS on my 213V and it finally works!  I have tried 2 motors and spent countless ours trying to figure this out.  I knew I was missing steps at the lower speeds.  I have been trying to find a threshold where I could make it work.  However the only way to successfully run at lower speeds for steel was to change the drive to 5 micro-steps and voila it runs without missing or skipping a step.