Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:32:13 PM

Author Topic: problems with machining holes and Z axis  (Read 5708 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: problems with machining holes and Z axis
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 06:00:48 AM »
Hi zxrjohn14,

From the link you have supplied here is a quote from the machine suppliers instructions…

Friendly reminder:
The engraver will come with MACH3 software(Free Version
If you followed the intsalation tips offered by us, it works like full version.)
intsalation tips:
The software perferm better on the 32bites system computer.
Please close the firewall and antivirus software on the computer before DOWNLOAD AND install the software.(This is very important)
Otherwise, the antivirus will regards the cnc software is virus and stop the installation.
PS:Please don't update the software when installed, then it will not need the license Numbers.

If you are using your suppliers ‘hacked’ version of Mach3 then you are on your own and there is little we can do to help you on this forum.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 07:47:14 AM »
I bought the set second hand  from a chap who couldn't get it set up.
If it is a hacked copy, I have bought the set in good faith never hearing of mach3 until i turned the computer on.
Yes, yes Mrs Lincoln,...but apart from that, did you enjoy the play?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 07:55:00 AM »
No problems.
My suggestion is that you download and install Mach3 version .062  ftp://anonymous:guest@ftp.machsupport.com/Mach3/Mach3Version3.043.062.exe
then we can proceed from there.

Tweakie.

PEACE
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 10:20:31 AM »
zxrjohn14,
I noticed in your post you said: "The holes are still off center,". You seem to be saying the Z axis is not moving up and down properly. But if I understand your statement 'off center' that would mean a problem with the x and y movement would it not? Do you mean to say the holes are not drilled to the correct depth?  I  know just enough about Mach3 to be dangerous so just asking. The Z axis gives me fits so I have a faulty understanding at best of the Z and safe limits.
I use Vcarve Pro 9 and Mach3 running on an old XP machine. 
Remember it's always darkest just before pitch black.
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »
Yes. There seems to be an issue, albeit minor, on all axis.
If you do a circle within a circle, and wanted a 6mm ring left, one side is 6mm and the other side 3mm.
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »
Hi,
There seems to be an issue, albeit minor, on all axis.
Minor? This just about buggers the machine
to do anything.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
Hi,
There seems to be an issue, albeit minor, on all axis.
Minor? This just about buggers the machine
to do anything.

Craig

I was playing it down

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 02:16:29 AM »
Hi zxrjohn14,

Can you please attach your <profile> .xml file (the one from your Mach3 folder) then we can check all your Mach3 settings. Copy and rename the file to zxrjohn.xml before attaching using the Additional Options tab. Your profile is shown bottom right of the main Mach3 screen.

Assuming you are now using Mach3 version .062 (as suggested) then I suspect the problem is not Mach3 related but all down to your machine mechanicals, however, checking your set-up is prudent as the first step.

Tweakie.

PEACE
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 03:23:14 AM »
Hi,
I would like to suggest another simple test...try running the same code but without the material so the spindle can be switched off.
It might be electrical noise from the spindle....

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2017, 11:05:47 AM »
ZXR,
One thing, draw a straight line of a length you can measure with a dial caliper do so in each direction x and y. This will tell you if you stepper motors are set to the correct steps/rev.  If you are experiencing errors on all axes then I strongly suggest you look at the square of your CNC. If for any reason it's not square you'll never fix the symptom. One good test is to cut or draw a square of equal sides say 10" by 10" if your cnc can handle that size. Then measure all sides they should be within specs. Another way is to cut 4 squares whose sides can be measured by a dial caliper. Let's say 4" by 4". These sides should be almost exactly the same for a small 4" square. Cut or draw if you have an accurate pen mount,  these 4 squares at each extreme corner of the cnc. This will test for squareness. Additionally, if you're driving the steppers to fast or too slow you'll get errors. I know this is a lot, but eliminating each possible cause help you narrow down the cause. Sadly my cnc was poorly designed and would not stay square. I also had flex in the spindle mount, there is no substitute for metal in an cnc frame trust me on this.
Remember it's always darkest just before pitch black.