Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 03:04:43 PM

Author Topic: Interference with axis motors  (Read 8511 times)

Interference with axis motors
« on: September 18, 2017, 04:12:02 PM »
Hi all i purchased a CNCMASTERS CNC JR.  Through a auction a few monthes ago the previous owner did a mach3 conversion on it but still working on the standard hardware and drives.

I have got the axis motors to work and the spindle issue is using them together. As soon as the spindel starts the axis motors goes haywire. But as soon as the spinde motor is off and the cnc jr. Is restarted the axis works fine till the spinle goes on again.

Hardware
Pc with win 10 64bit
Mach3 board and mach3mill software
Standard cnc jr. Motors and drivers
Speedmaster sm vfd

Kind regards
MAV

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
Re: Interference with axis motors
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 08:42:49 PM »
Hi,
noise from the VFD is getting into your other power supplies, possibly PC and BoB/controller.

Does your BoB/controller have  a seperate power supply? It probably should.

If you are using USB to communicate to the motion controller fit two or three clip on ferrite rings.

If the problem is real bad try plugging your VFD into a different power socket than your PC/BoB/controller.
You may need a line side reactor to tame your VFD.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 03:52:44 AM »
Hi Craig

It still uses the parallel port could that be a problem.

When i received the machine all the power was on one plug socket and the pc on another and the original owner said it worked fine like that... ill go tonight an change the vfd to its own power cable seperate from the pc and the bob use leads to connect the unit to different wall sockets so they are far apart from each other. 

Could it be a shieling problem on the wires.

I urgently need to get this machine working ill stip it and do all new wireing and electics in december when i do shut down.

Thanx
MAV

Interference with axis motors
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 03:54:49 AM »
Sorry this should have said "Could it be a shielding problem on the wires."

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 06:22:21 AM »
Hi,
Pc with win 10 64bit
this machine cannot be parallel port with that PC.

There are two schools of thought about electromagnetic interference:
1) The electrical equipment must minimise both conducted and radiated interference to other equipment
2) Electrical equipment should be designed and built to be minimally susceptible to conducted and radiated electromagnetic interference.

You may have noted that just about every piece of electrical gear has markings to signifying that the manufacturer has minimised the interference
produced by the piece of gear. This often entails untold expense by the manufacturer both in design and compliance. Then what happens is people
often and sometimes deliberately misuse or modify the gear so that it 'pollutes' the electromagnetic spectrum. Sometimes, especially cheap manufacturers,
cheat and their gear will never comply with the standard indicated.

VFDs are bastards at EM interference both conducted and radiated. Most people overlook conducted interference, it occurs because the current demand
of a piece of gear, a VFD for instance, causes a voltage imprint on the supply of other gear and interferes with its operation. A VFD can radiate interference
as well like a bad radio station. Screened cables, ferrite suppressors and things of that nature help other gear to resist bad radio waves but the real solution
is to stop the bad radio waves from being generated in the first place.

In the first instance you need to separate the supply to your PC/Bob/controller/stepper drives from your VFD supply with separate plugs plugged into
separate sockets. That may be enuf. Other than that you may need line reactors. You can fiddle about with screened cables and ferrites and you might
get it to work OR you go to the source of the problem as I've described.

Craig
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 06:34:59 AM »
Hi craig jip its a I3 intel machine loaded with a gtx770 and 16gb ram with a PCI parallel port card installed so i can run the mach3 on it it works like a dream exept for the interferance as mentioned.

Than you so much for the help ill be at home in about 5 hours then ill try all this i hope it is a simple as that

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 06:52:40 AM »
Hi,
can you confirm....Win 10 64 bit with a PCI parallel port running Mach3 with PP?

If you are doing that then you are able to make SERIOUS money, being the only person on the planet to be able to.

Craig
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 07:14:46 AM »
Hi,
just had a look at the CNC Master website and they describe the control box communicating with the PC as USB connected, NOT parallel port.

Craig
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 07:40:59 AM »
Ill post pics when im at home that use to be my job man applications developer

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 08:08:14 AM »
Hi again craig this is the mach3 i have installed with the standard mach3 V2 software

http://www.cncdirect.co.za/htm/mach.html