Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:20:15 PM

Author Topic: IS THERE ANY WAY TO JOG AROUND BOUNDARIES OF GCODE IN MACH3  (Read 4201 times)

IS THERE ANY WAY TO JOG AROUND BOUNDARIES OF GCODE IN MACH3
« on: September 14, 2017, 07:14:46 AM »
Hi everyone,
I am facing a little problem in aligning the material because of its complex shape, Question is that IS THERE ANY WAY TO JOG AROUND BOUNDARIES OF GCODE IN MACH3 ?

Added info below from other the other post he made that I deleted:  RICH 9/14/2017

Hi everyone,
Can Mach3 jog around the boundaries of gcode with a command, Not manually, This is because i often have complex shaped materials to be carved, And the alignment of my job is really a hard job for me, I was wondering that there would be an option in mach3 that let me trace the boundary on my material, So that i can be sure that is my material placed well or not,
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:28:21 AM by RICH »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: IS THERE ANY WAY TO JOG AROUND BOUNDARIES OF GCODE IN MACH3
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 07:28:22 AM »
I don't know if it's any help to you but the Tool Path (Alt-4) window shows the Gcode Program Limits.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 08:29:24 AM »
Well i was wondering that there would be an option in mach3 that let me trace the boundary on my material,
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 03:37:58 AM »
If you explain what you want to achieve through tracing your material boundary there's a chance someone might have a solution.

A mechanic once walked up to me in the body shop and asked to borrow a screwdriver, when I asked what kind and he said it didn't matter.
I explained that it did matter as the right screwdriver avoids tool and fastener damage and wear, he replied that he simply wanted to lever a rocker cover off a cylinder head and the type of screwdriver didn't matter.
I closed the screwdriver drawer in my Snap-On roll cab, opened the pry-bar and lever drawer and offered him the right tool for the job.

Rather than asking for the tool you think you want it is often better to explain what you want to achieve as even if the tool you think you want doesn't exist someone may have a solution to your problem, 
Regards,
 - Nick

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 06:14:39 AM »
Question is that IS THERE ANY WAY TO JOG AROUND BOUNDARIES OF GCODE IN MACH3 ?
Not manually

NO

All depends on what you mean by boundaries.
What your really asking is ..........

How does one set-up a work to be machined?
That is is loaded question. Peter Smid has a book called CNC Control Setup for the mill and lathe.
You need to do a do some reading. CNC is is not plug and play!

RICH

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 06:57:01 AM »
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 05:13:19 PM »
Why not write an outline program to fast traverse round the job first, with stops at the appropriate places to check material is within machining area.
 Graham
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 10:13:32 PM »
Hi,
if you want to go around the outline of your part to ensure that your material is well placed within the machining boundaries of your machine then its
likely to fail.

Lets say that you have an unusual shaped part that has an arm which extended beyond the boundary of your machine. I can well understand that you would
wish to know this before you starting your part program but even if you had the means of running around the outline of the part you will cause or
attempt to cause your machine to go outside its boundaries, that is crash it.

I have Mach setup to display the machine boundaries in addition to the part toolpath and can at a glance tell if part of the part program would attempt
to go outside the boundaries. Its usually a matter of shifting the material on the table, re zeroing to the new reference of the stock and confirm the toolpath
lies within the machine boundaries.

To display the boundaries Config/ToolPath check Machine Boundaries. The numerical values of the boundaries are the soft limit max and min on the
Config/Homing-Limits page.

Does this technique provide sufficient info for you?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 12:10:54 AM »
Hi Picengraver,
is the code in the link you posted a great deal different to the visual display already offered by Mach with the displayed boundaries.

I note that the code uses the pound variables generated by Mach corresponding to the max XY extents of the part program. It uses these
extents to move the tool in a rectangular fashion, it does not trace the outline of the part but rather the rectangle which contains it. If the
part is within the boundaries the toolpath will complete but if not then the path will fail softlimits if active or Estop when hard limits are
encountered.

Why?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'