Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:25:31 PM

Author Topic: Installing Mach3 on a Dynamite 2800 machine  (Read 16767 times)

Installing Mach3 on a Dynamite 2800 machine
« on: June 26, 2007, 09:42:51 PM »
I bought a Dynamite 2800 machine and would like to know if I can just use the RS232 port from my computer running Mach3 and keep the machine controller or do I have to go into the driver boards? I understand the Dynamite machine has good iron, but does not use G code, which raises my question about using Mach3 without changing some of the hardware. I need all the help I can get with the sofware issue. Thank you. Fred Fulmer

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Installing Mach3 on a Dynamite 2800 machine
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 09:55:50 PM »
Hey Fred,
    You can't use the RS232. :( Mach works through a parallel port. There are other options that work through an Eathernet or USB. I have sent you a personal message.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 09:37:14 AM »
I just upgraded a DynaMyte 2400 to Mach II, by building a custom replacement for the distribution board.  But basically, you can replace the function of the controller and distribution board with Mach III and a good opto-isolated breakout board.  Someone just sent me the wiring diagram for the 2800 (and 3000 lathe, which I have) and he's is also sending some pictures of the distribution board and the two daughter boards that appear to me mounted to it on the prints. I'm trying to build a more universal replacment for the distribution board, easily adapted for each machine.  anyhow, if your in a hurry it's best to go the opto-isolated breakout board method.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 08:59:55 PM »
Jeff

Thank you for your reply. It looks like good stuff! I am planning on using Mach III but I thought I had to replace the driver boards with Gecko units because the current boards are analog and I thought Mach III was sending digital signals.  Are you are saying that I can use the existing driver boards?
I have a new breakout board ready and I ordered a wiring schematic from Dyna Mechtronics in Sunnyvale California. But, no I’m not in any hurry and would like to know more about this distribution board that I will have to make. Thank you.

Fred

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 10:12:55 PM »
Hmmmm....your mill has stepper motors, right?  My notes on this are at work, but I seem to remember the following three Dyan-Mechtronics mills:

2200:  Small benchtop, stepper motors
2400: upgraded 2200, built in oiler, stepper motors
2800: larger 'mid-size' unit, has an LED RPM display for spindle spindle motor has encoder, spindle has no reverse and can only be turned on/off by control cannot set speed via program, axis have stepper motors

Is that what your 2800 is like?

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 10:28:09 PM »
Jeff
Yes, the 2800 is the larger "mid-size" unit with LED RPM display for the 1-1/2 horsepower brushless DC spindle motor with a BT-30 taper in the spindle. The axis motors are stepper with extended spindles and I just saw that Gekco is developing an opto encoder setup for steppers that would fit these motors. It sounds very intersting and may be worth waiting for, unless you tell me that I can use my current driver boards as is.

Fred

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 11:20:30 PM »
yeah, your current drivers should be fine.  I'm running the stock drivers on my 2400, which work fine.  If your stock drives are fine, I would stick with them unless you really want to upgrade to a closed loop system (as you mentioned) or want to maybe coax a bit more out of the stock steppers.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 06:46:26 PM »
Jeff

I understand that Mach III will take over as the controller when I do my installation, but I would like to know what will remain of the old drop in controller and wire from the original machine. Did you discard it? If so it looks like a good location for me to mount a box with my FANUC rotary pulse generator and/or flat screen, etc.

I think I will move forward using my current driver boards and get this machine going. I can always upgrade again next year when Gecko has perfected those new drivers with the opto feed back. Thank you.

Fred
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 07:05:29 PM by ffulmer »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 06:55:15 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I knew Fred would find some help here.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 09:46:22 AM »
Sorry to take so long to respond.  On my 2400 (smaller machine than yours), I removed the stock controller pendant and made a replacement for the distribution board inside the machine.  Everything that plugged into the old distribution board plugs right into my new board.  The LPT cable and a USB cable from the controlling PC also plug into the new board.  NOTE: the USB is just for a 5V source from PC. Warning: some breakout boards have a power supply built in that appears to be a multi-secondary transformer, feeding power to both sides of the opto-isolator circuit, avoid these like the plague, as the transformer makes a nice inductive coupling between the two sides, making the optos nearly useless.

Your breakout board will replace the distribution board.  The 2800 looks like it has a few daughter boards mounted to the distribution board, I'm still awaiting photos of the stock set up (from another source) before I can tell more.