Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:48:43 PM

Author Topic: All the Gear and No Idea (as to why nothing happens)  (Read 8889 times)

Re: All the Gear and No Idea (as to why nothing happens)
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 02:54:13 PM »
OK that's done..Sorry no screenshots (Don't know how in Windows) just pictures from my 'not-so-smartphone'
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 05:07:41 PM »
Hi,
that looks OK.

Next test is to go to the MDI screen and issue a few manual commands and see if the DROs reflect the instruction.
You also want to check that you can jog. Both of these tests can be done without the machine plugged in, in
fact may be better without it. All you are doing is testing the imediate mode of Mach.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 05:47:30 PM »
Impetuosity struck and I plugged it in. The up and down arrows make the X axis go to the left, (either arrow, and the age up and page down arros make the Y axis come forward, both of them.. ??
OK i'll return to what you suggested and unplug it..
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 06:15:45 PM »
Thanks Craig, I'm a complete newbie so bear with me, I'm presuming that by manual commands you are asking me to enter G code into the relevant space to the left after the big blue "INPUT" tab..Any codes in particular ? and what's the procedure between each instruction space or return ? Remember I have no operation manual..in this mode, MDI Screen, the l/r up/down and page up/down have NO effect on any readout.
Just to clarify I am NOT using the USB, i'm connected (Well not at the moment) with a parallel port lead (DB25 ?)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:20:48 PM by basilhenriques »
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 06:28:32 PM »
Hi,
you will need to learn the absolute basics of Gcode in order to do any useful work.

Go to the Artsoft website and download some of the manuals, they work best when you actually read them!

Are your units inches or metric?

If metric:
G0 X100 <enter>
G0 x0 <enter> should move the X axis 100mm and then back again.

If inches:
G0 X4 <enter>
G0 X0 <enter> should move the X axis 4 inches and then back again.

If the manual jogging is enabled, a button on the main screen, then on MDI page hit <tab> and a flyout should appear
with arrows for manual jogging. As to what all the different options are you need to RTFM.

Craig
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 08:33:39 PM »
OK I understand about the manual NOW, I didn't have one on the supplied USB Stick with the licence on it..I will of course RTFM in 'F' depth..Meanwhile, I tried inputting those codes you gave...No visible effect anywhere on the DRO's. Here is a screenshot of what the jog functions look like when opened via 'TAB'
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 08:54:27 PM »
Hi,
if the DROs are not changing then Mach is not producing any pulses and your machine won't go.
Solve this issue and you will be well on your way.

Is Mach enabled?. On the main screen there is a Reset button, when its red and flashing Mach is disabled.
Can you operate the button and have it change from green to red and back again?

When you jogged did you use the keyboard arrows or the arrows on the on-screen flyout?

Craig
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 08:58:38 PM »
Hi,
I missed reading one of your posts, you've had some luck jogging with the machine plugged in. That means
Mach can work and it can generate pulses and output them to the parallel port. Good news.

Still a bit bemused as to why the DROs won't change when you jog.

Craig
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »
Sorry about all my lack of comprehension of G-Codes, but that doesn't explain why the communication is all askew betwixt man, machine and machinery.. one further thing I got wrong, the OS on the PC is Windows XP.
Is there no basic configuration file for the pin assignment. When I look at the assignments in Mach3 they ALL Have a red X ! where do I start from please ?
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 09:08:10 PM »
Hi,
start by getting the DROs to work.

Worry about ports and pins a bit down the track.

Craig