Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:59:20 PM

Author Topic: 32 Bit Win 7 Unresponsive  (Read 3133 times)

Offline KYx

•  3 3
    • View Profile
32 Bit Win 7 Unresponsive
« on: November 27, 2017, 10:21:07 AM »
Greetings,

I've been lurking the forums here as of late, trying to get my DIY mini mill operational. I'm running into an issue that I can't seem to resolve... Basically when I'm in Mach3, jogging doesn't work. If I hit the arrows on my keyboard, the numbers in Mach3 change, but the motors on my mill are unresponsive. I believe others have had similar problems, but it seems like a simple solution generally fixed it. Hopefully someone can send me some guidance on where to go from here.

Here is a breakdown of what hardware/software I'm using:

Here is a breakdown of what I have tried to resolve the issue so far:
  • DriverTest.exe works fine, pulse is excellent.
  • Jog Mode IS ON in mach3.
  • I triple checked with the wiring diagrams provided by automation technologies for my drivers, motors, and BOB. The wiring matches the diagram.
  • I also checked my wiring with this http://www.cnczone.com/forums/automation-technology-products/103163-c10-kl4030-driver-wiring-instruction-newbies.html... just to make sure I wasn't missing something in the diagram. The wiring looks good.
  • I made sure the ports and pins config in mach3 was correct. X, Y, and Z are set to 2/3, 4/5, and 6/7 for the step and direction pins, respectively.
  • I toggled step and direction low active.
  • I made sure the X, Y, Z ports are set to "1".
  • I made sure the E-Stop was set to port 1, pin 10 (even though I don't have a physical E-Stop- the BOB is wired at the 10 pin).
  • I made sure my parallel port is located at 378. According to the device manager on my PC, the port address is 378. This agrees to mach3 ports and pins.
  • I toggled ECP and EPP mode in BIOS.
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled the mach3 parallel port driver.
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled mach3 altogether.

The motors are totally unresponsive to keyboard and manual jogging. The 36v and 5v power supplies are lit green, the breakout board is lit red, all three drivers are lit red. Not totally sure, but it doesn't appear any of my hardware is malfunctioning.

It seems like mach3 is not communicating with the machine, this leads me to believe something could be wrong with the parallel port.

I'm unsure where to go from here! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 10:28:45 AM by KYx »
Re: 32 Bit Win 7 Unresponsive
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 12:38:45 PM »
Hi,
does the breakout board have LEDs on the outputs?. If it does do the Dr LEDs change as you MDI or jog back and forth?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline KYx

•  3 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 01:36:36 PM »
Craig,

Your response prompted me to revisit the user manual... The BOB has one red LED next to the power input. It also has a green LED next to the output pins (2-9). Per the manual, "The power LED lights to indicate that the system is ready but disabled. When Status LED, (Green LED) lights, it indicates that the system is enabled". The green status light on my board is off.

The LED's do not change if I jog back and forth or play around with mach3...

I assume since the green LED isn't lighting, there isn't an output leaving the BOB and reaching the drivers? Or there isn't a signal reaching the BOB at all?

My apologies if my descriptions are hard to follow, I'm an accountant by trade, this stuff is pretty foreign to me.

Thanks for your help Craig.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 06:25:14 PM »
Hi,
from your desrciption the BoB is not enabled therefore any signals which may be getting to the BoB are not passing
through it to the drivers. Need to work out what is required to enable your board.

Craig
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 06:28:55 PM »
Hi,
have a look at:
4.1.5 Enable pin.
in the manual.

In the paragraph it says:
If this
function is not required, an jumper can be placed between +5vdc and the EN
terminal.

Craig

Offline KYx

•  3 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:03:27 PM »
Craig,

I believe I might know what part (and hopefully all) of my problem is. My DB25 cable is not a "straight thru" cable. It is a serial crossover cable. From my understanding, this means the pin outputs on the computer side do not coincide with the same pins controller side... I assume this is why nothing is getting through the BOB to the drivers.

I have a new cable on order. Fingers crossed.

Also, I am going to jump the 5V and EN terminals and see what happens. Afterwards, I'll probably cease messing with it until I get the new cable in. It's only a matter of time before I accidentally fry something and have to start over. I will update the thread as I go.

Thanks again for your help.