Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:27:00 AM

Author Topic: Laptop Driver problem  (Read 4144 times)

Laptop Driver problem
« on: March 14, 2006, 10:48:33 AM »
Cheers,

Is there some way of identifying what causes the DriverTest program to give a low Pulse Per Second reading?

The DriverTest program on the laptop the CPU speed indicator gives a reading of 1695 with a 25K Mode Pulse Per Second reading of 4k to 5k.

I removed all of the programs I suspect would give problems and ran a spybot remover to hopefully clean up the rest. The Pulse Per Second reading remains in the 4k to 5K range.

Thanks..... Doug
Re: Laptop Driver problem
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 06:58:20 PM »
There is no way that I know of...
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 01:06:43 PM »
If your problem has any similarity to mine then it may be because your laptop is polling a port persistantly because it expects something to be plugged into it even though the application that uses the port may not be running. In my case it was the floppy drive being plugged into a USB port that solved my problem even though the drive was not in use.

So if you had any applications that used a USB port then try plugging them in, nothing else just plug it in ....

Alan

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 07:48:38 AM »
Here is what I had to do. Go to the mach support main page click on support and follow the directions given in the optimization file. This will clean things from your system you did not even know existed.
 Unfortunately in my situation it did not give me the results I was wanting so this is what I had to do. I had to totally format the hard drive and reinstalled a clean version of Xp. By clean I mean the oem version that is NOT distributed by the computer maker. There is alto of stuff on the manufacturers version which is just the stuff you are trying to get rid of.
 This worked well for me but in the process my laptop thinks its a desktop. I have no way of checking battery power, it does not know what to do when you close the lid and various other little things were lost but Mach 3 works great.
B. Ender
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 09:04:22 AM »
Over the weekend I ran through the list of procedure's in the optimization guide. No luck. After a short time period at +24 KHz the system settled in at +4~5 KHz.
I then formated the hard drive and rebuilt the operating system from scratch. No Luck.  I ran all the service patches and upgraded to the latest drivers hoping that the bug fixes would break the 24 KHz barrier. All for naught, the system settled in at +4~5 KHz

I guess I am going to have to byte the bit and reluctantly buy a new computer. What's the best way to go, clone or name brand, any suggestions?
Is there any particular mother board and CPU combination that I should be looking for?

Thanks....... Doug

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 10:23:10 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you are still having trouble. I am stumped as stated above this all worked for me. One thing I would like to add is in the optimazation file step 0/9  seems to have been the most critical in my situation. Sorry I cannot be any further help.
 Brandy