Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 10:20:21 AM

Author Topic: Problems with small cnc machine  (Read 1804 times)

Problems with small cnc machine
« on: August 15, 2017, 08:32:07 PM »
Hi All,

We are fairly basic users of a CNC  machines in our factory and have had a very basic Chinese set up running for a few years now and had reasonable success.

Just yesterday we started up our set up to run through our normal processes and we have been experiencing some stuttering of the step motors in various directions.

We are using a chinese set up with has an inverter drive for the motor and a blue drive control box for the step motors and running mach 3 software, any information or help would be very much appreciated, I have obviously tried all the basic things of cleaning and reseating plugs etc.

Brendan.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with small cnc machine
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 05:37:52 AM »
Brenden,

we have been experiencing some stuttering of the step motors in various directions.

- Jog and use commands to move around with the motor turned off and see if the problem    goes away.
- There are a number of reasons for the whatever you mean by "stuttering".
   - If skipping try retuning the steppers / reduce accel and velocity settings
     Before you do that make sure the machine axes are lubricated and move easily.
   - Confirm that proper  amp settings of  the stepper drives are being used
   - I know nothing about your "blue box" controller. You are on your owne for any problems  associated with it and that includes the plug-in
     if used. You can post the manuals for the  the controller, drives etc. and maybe another user will help.

Experience has shown me to not waste time on Chinese stuff unless proper documentation
     is available and is correct.

FWIW,

RICH

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 06:43:06 PM »
RICH,

THANK  YOU FOR YOUR INFORMATION THIS MACHINE IS ALMOST 4 YEARS OLD AND HAVE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE HENCE MY QUESTIONS.

DURING THE MOVEMENT OF AXIS VIA KEY BOARD CONTROLL AND OPERATION I AM GETTNG WHAT YOU REFER TO AS SKIPPING OR LIKE JAMMING ON THE GUIDE ARMS.

EVERYTHING IS CLEAN AND LUBED AS PER OUR NROMALL OPERATION. I WILL ATTEMP TO LOOK IN TO RETUNING OF STEP MOTORS AND GO FROM THERE.

THANKS AGAIN.
BRENDAN.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 12:42:56 PM »
I've had motors go bad, the grinding and catching is all in the motors.  At that point, you have reached the end of your flow chart: buy a new motor.

Does your machine have timing belts?  A broken timing belt?

Does your machine have gears attached to said belts?  I have had those bearing go bad as well.