Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:17:44 AM

Author Topic: Threading Wizard  (Read 5385 times)

Threading Wizard
« on: July 13, 2017, 12:00:52 PM »
Hi
I tried the threading vizzard for the first time but it just stoppe at line 7. The spindel was still running but nothing happen. Its M16x1.
What di I do wrong?

Here are the code:
G0 G40 G18 G80 G50 G90
G00 X16.025
G00 Z1.1
G00 X16
M03 S300
M08
G76 X15 Z10 Q1 P1 J0.006 L45 H0.3 I29 C0.025 B0.0001 T0
M9
M5
M30

Gaute

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Threading Wizard
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:21:39 PM »
Do have an index configured for the rpm?
Are you using a licensed version of Mach?

Maybe have a read of Threading On The Lathe which can be found in Member's Doc's.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 12:41:12 AM »
I will check the index configuration. The index plate should be correct as I made it according to the Mach3 Turn manual. Yes I have a paid licence.
Thanlks for the advice Rich.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 08:38:56 AM »
G76 X15 Z10 Q1 P1 J0.006 L45 H0.3 I29 C0.025 B0.0001 T0

So your putting an M6-1 thread on a 15 diameter stock.

? Z10  You realise that normaly one would thread towards the chuck
  so Z-10 and NOT Z10.? Note also that the there should be a move
  of 3 to 5 P ( or greater) before the actual start of the threading
  as this give time for the axis to accelerate. You should also check
  the feedrate in the wizard so that chosen feedrate is acceptable.  

? H.3 I would suggest a smaller first pass depth

? C.025 Why so small?

? B.0001  Practicaly speaking, doubt that your lathe accomplish that.
          B is optional....

Are you using a SmoothStepper? It would control the threading.

? M03 S300 You need to set spindle speed manualy and based on the index
           pulse signal.See the Threading Write up.

If Mach3 sees no index pulse there will be no threading ie; changing from G94 to G95. Note that threading will not start
until the index debounce is satisfied ( needs to see so manny index pulses before it accepts the signal).

RICH
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 09:04:42 AM »
I belive my problem is the card, that is a cheap china USB card:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Factory-outlets-100KHz-CNC-mach3-USB-4-Axis-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Breakout-Board-USBCNC-Smooth-Stepper/32334451366.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.Q6q1FJ

Every thing else on the lathe works fine. I'm relative new to CNC som bear with me. I build a CNC router/3D printer and this works perfect after some try and failing

So your putting an M6-1 thread on a 15 diameter stock. No M16-1, just for test purpose. I have a 16 mm stock X start is 16 mm.

? Z10  You realise that normaly one would thread towards the chuck
  so Z-10 and NOT Z10.? Yes it was -10 in the wizzard but I see it is positive.
Note also that the there should be a move
  of 3 to 5 P ( or greater) before the actual start of the threading
  as this give time for the axis to accelerate. You should also check
  the feedrate in the wizard so that chosen feedrate is acceptable. 

? H.3 I would suggest a smaller first pass depth it is 0.3 mm

? C.025 Why so small? I don't know?

? B.0001  Practicaly speaking, doubt that your lathe accomplish that.
          B is optional.... I don't know

Are you using a SmoothStepper? It would control the threading. No I'm using this:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Factory-outlets-100KHz-CNC-mach3-USB-4-Axis-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Breakout-Board-USBCNC-Smooth-Stepper/32334451366.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.Q6q1FJ and I think this is the problem. I do not find any index connection

? M03 S300 You need to set spindle speed manualy and based on the index
           pulse signal.See the Threading Write up. Yes I just read it and learned a lot. Now I understand what the codes means.

If Mach3 sees no index pulse there will be no threading ie; changing from G94 to G95. Note that threading will not start
until the index debounce is satisfied ( needs to see so manny index pulses before it accepts the signal). This is properbly the problem.

I have a standard brakout card that I can connect to the computer LPT port, can I use this in addition to the USB (of cause it must handle index) or should I just buy a USB smooth stepper card?

It's a lot to learn and this is the purpose of my project. I do not have any particular use for the CNC late other than finding out how it works.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 09:20:43 AM »
One strange thing is the actual speed DRO show correct speed and I have connected the speed/index pickup to somewhere. I will check this when I'm back home tonight.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 11:08:08 AM »
I hav checked the index connection to the card. I have used I2 for the Index and configured Mach3 for this port. When I turn the spindel I get green on the index led every time the sensor passes one of the four open slots in the disk. When I run the spindel the led goes off now and then. The card documentation does not say anything about index.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 06:03:42 AM »
You only use a ONE SLOT of the disk, timing / use of a multi slotted disc is not supported ( page 42, 43 in the writeup ) and don't enable  any turn diagnostics. Just put some black tape over the other three slots so the sensor will not see them.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 07:42:03 AM »
Gaute,
1.Post the xml file you are using for the lathe.
2.Post the manual for the usb driver board.
  Mach 3 reads spindle rpm in real time based on the index pulse and that input is used for threading and shown in the DRO.

So ask the seller these questions:
  ? Does the driver board support Mach3 threading?
  ? What exactly is represented by that output from the card?
NOTE: I personaly will not provide support for a Chinese card that lacks information relative to Mach3.

I have a standard breakout card that I can connect to the computer LPT port, can I use this in addition to the USB (of cause it must handle index) or should I just buy a USB smooth stepper card?

In past topics you said you got / had a SmoothStepper.
If you are, then use the Warp9 Site for info on that card and plugin. I have not kept current
on the SmoothStepper.

As far as using the lpt port and the usb driver / breakout board.......
Can't specifically answer if that will work.
The usb is providing control of the steppers based on Mach3 instructions. Threading is an internal
function of Mach3. That usb may not know what to do with the instructions given with that
combination. That is why external motion control is given to an external card like the SmoothStepper.

RICH
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 07:44:16 AM by RICH »
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 04:29:53 PM »
I had the very same issue, It turned out to be a corrupt license file. I closed the program and re installed the license and it worked, It will not run line 7 in demo mode or without reading a valid license.