Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:25:22 PM

Author Topic: How to make cnc work?  (Read 2302 times)

How to make cnc work?
« on: July 10, 2017, 01:37:38 PM »

I recently purchased a used cnc router with no manual or instructions (custom built).  It currently has  Ability Systems Indexer LPT , Indexer LPT-JS and G Code Controller.  The previous owner had MecSoft VisualMill installed, but I would like to switch to Vectric Aspire and use Mach3, but I am having issues. 

My computer has 2 pci cards controlling 2 dbi 25's (photo attached) and a 3rd pci that the LPT-JS connects to.  Is there a way to make Mach3 work with 2 pcis, or is there another option that would be easier to get my machine so I can work with Vectric Aspire?

I am a newbie and very frustrated as I have been trying to get my cnc working for over a month without any success.

???
Re: How to make cnc work?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 03:49:40 PM »
Did you try contacting Ability Systems?
Also vectric creates your design or g-code and Mach3 translated the g-code into movement.

If your machine can run as is, you can still use vectric
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 06:17:16 PM »
I have tried contacting Ability Systems several times to no avail.  The machine originally had Abilty Systems G code controller and software which was used with MecSoft VisualMill, but I would prefer to use Mach3 and Aspire, but so far no one has been able to answer my questions.  Vectric is not compatible with Ability Systems, which is why I am considering Mach3. 

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 09:09:59 PM »
I know nothing about the Alibility Systems Controller and don't use
MecSoft Software. Since you don't have a manual I will not even try to guess
what you have. I will not spend time looking for info that one should provide
so hope you understand.

Mach 3, a software controller, uses gcode to give the necessary instructions
to the drives so the motors can move properly. There are different dialects of
gcode ( just like language )and different controllers use different dialects
of gcode. CAM / Cad software generates the gcode for something to be machined
and usualy there ia a specific post processor for a specific contoller.

Mach3 will work with a computer that has a parallel port available provided and
the PP is capable of providing a quality signal to the drives. It can also use
an external motion device designed for use with Mach3.

Hope the above helps,

RICH  
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 10:18:04 PM »
Thanks Rich, but maybe I am not stating in my issue correctly.  My problem is with configuring the ports for Mach3 because I have 2 PCI cards each connected to a separate parallel port.  If I connect cable from PCI #1 to parallel port #1 and configure ports as suggested in Mach3 I can get X and Y axis movement.  If I connect cable from PCI#2 to same Parallel Port #1, I get Z and 4th axis movement.  

I need to know how to get Mach3 to communicate with both PCI cards for all axis control at same time.  Hope this clarifies my issue.  Basically just disregard Ability Systems info, as that was more for background info.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 05:49:09 AM »
Attach your xml file that you are using. IE; Mach3Mill.xml
It can be found in the directory where Mach3 was installed.
Copy and rename it to a unique name like carob.xml before posting it.

RICH
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 12:04:58 PM »
Here is where I would start...

Make sure the computer you are using is stable enough...mach3 has a pulse test. If it is not stable enough, you may need to purchase an ESS( SmoothStepper) since we do not know if your controller has one or not...

If your computer is stable, get both PCI's setup in mach3 as port 1 and port 2 Config>Ports and Pins, then change the motor outputs. You will see that you can change the ports for each axis...Hopefully this will get you headed in the right direction.

Ben

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 07:07:53 PM »
> I need to know how to get Mach3 to communicate with both PCI cards for all axis control at same time.
You need to assign two different addresses to the two LPT output cards, and you need to tell Mach3 what those addresses are.

Cheers
Roger