Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:26:53 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 constant jerk S curve motion planning  (Read 6518 times)

Mach4 constant jerk S curve motion planning
« on: June 15, 2017, 05:39:37 PM »
I recently upgraded my CNC router from a tinyG controller running Chilipeppr to a Pokeys57CNC controller running Mach4. In general this has been a great improvement in terms of flexibility and reliability. The one thing that I really miss was the constant jerk motion planner in the tinyG. I was able to get much higher max speeds and accelerations with lower vibration when using a content jerk acceleration profile, and I really miss the smooth motion. Is there any hope of an s curve motion planner being implemented in Mach4?

Offline Pythagoras

•  93 93
  • a² + b² = c²
    • View Profile
Re: Mach4 constant jerk S curve motion planning
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 03:34:35 AM »
Im really interested that you consider moving from Tinyg to Mach4 an improvement when you are losing the jerk motion planner. Why do you feel Mach4 is an improvement?
Im getting back into CNC after 10 plus years and as much as I love Mach, I'm highly considering Tinyg just because of the s jerk planner.
The Pythagorean theorem: The sum of the areas of the two squares on the legs (a and b) equals the area of the square on the hypotenuse (c).     a² + b² = c².

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 05:15:56 AM »
Hi B,

I know the issue well…
I am still using the Quantum planner with Mach3. Just as an example, Art’s free software ‘Auggie’ incorporates the same S curve planner and just why this system was never incorporated into Mach4 is a mystery to me.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Pythagoras

•  93 93
  • a² + b² = c²
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 04:37:34 AM »
Hey good sir, great to see you are still on here.
Seems like a lot has changed over the years. Im utterly confused as to what software, motion card, etc to use.
Even the advent of of arduino CNC is quite amazing.
"Auggie" Oh yeah, I had quite forgot about that. Do many people use it?

Ive had a change of heart towards wood. Normally I was a steel and aluminium man but my new machine is torsion box ply. I'm loving the eas of the build, the lightness etc.
Is Art still actively programming?
The Pythagorean theorem: The sum of the areas of the two squares on the legs (a and b) equals the area of the square on the hypotenuse (c).     a² + b² = c².

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 05:38:21 AM »
Hi B,

Good to hear you are returning to the world of CNC - there have certainly been a lot of advancements and new technology introduced over the last 10 years so you may have some catching-up to do.   ;)

Art is still most active with his own designs but he is stretched in all directions.

Unfortunately ‘Auggie’ has never really been fully developed but it is a great platform for experimentation – together with the 57CNC motion controller I have found that it is excellent for laser control.
His spin-off CAD ‘Vexx’ has just had the addition of design and drawing for Cyclic Reducers and I am currently (as time permits) having great fun making and testing various versions and reduction ratio’s etc.
And, of course, Art’s ‘Gearotic Motion’ is just brilliant for gear, sprocket, pulley, etc design and production.
There is an active forum covering all of Art’s work and projects; http://gearotic.com/ESW/FavIcons/index.php and more details of his projects here;   http://gearotic.com/

I now have 5 different external motion controllers which I can use with Mach4 and each has it’s own merits but overall the UC400ETH from CNC Drive is currently getting the most use but unfortunately not with Mach4.

Tweakie.
PEACE