Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 12:25:22 PM

Author Topic: Second Spindle Mach 3  (Read 503 times)

Second Spindle Mach 3
« on: December 27, 2023, 10:54:13 AM »
Dear all,
first of all Merry Christmas and happy New Year.
My name is Gianluca form Italy.
Preface: I'm totaly new in cnc world.
I would like to build a lathe for fishing float, closer to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7JWZ5uUfao

For this lathe i need two independent spindles  ( one is stepper, because i need not so torque, as also you can see)  If you look with attention in the video the guy set S command and the first spindle starts at S speed value, but also the 2nd spindle starts with some speed equal to S/x ratio.
This is maby a not so elegant solution ( you cannot control the 2nd spindle speed but i can accept it )
Is it possible to control with mach 3 two independent spindle, using maby also A axes (avoiding to inclute during G-code)?

PS oh yes, one can do this using G-code including well computed A revoultions in each code row i.e:
G0 X10 Z-2 A600
G0 X10.1 Z-2 A600
G0 X10.2 Z-2 A600

Thank you in advance for help
Gianluca

Re: Second Spindle Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 08:50:46 AM »
Is it possible to drive the second spindle (stepper) using plc...or better:
one time that i set M03 S*********xx and run this command the plc start to run the second spindle
Thank you

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,673 2,673
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 08:00:34 AM »
You can start and stop many spindles, but you only have one 0-10 volt output so the two spindles would need to share the speed signal and be tuned to the same rpm.  Matched spindles would not be a problem.  if you wish to run one then the other that should not be a problem with some change over relays.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 08:17:06 AM »
You can start and stop many spindles, but you only have one 0-10 volt output so the two spindles would need to share the speed signal and be tuned to the same rpm.  Matched spindles would not be a problem.  if you wish to run one then the other that should not be a problem with some change over relays.

I need to drive independent spindle
thank you

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,673 2,673
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 08:43:02 AM »
If you need mach3/4 to control the spindle speed then its complicated if you only need the spindles to run at a fixed speed and Mach turn them on and off its easy.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 12:10:22 PM »
Thank you
I need to control a vdf spindle and a second stepper spindle, in independent manner