Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:22:33 PM

Author Topic: KX3 and Mach4 compatability  (Read 1342 times)

KX3 and Mach4 compatability
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:02:01 AM »
Hi Guys,

I just bought a KX3 and was going to buy Mach3, but I have notice there is also a Mach4, is this newer software version compatible with the KX3. Would I need any  drivers or plugins other than what is needed for Mach3.

Thanks
 Steve
Re: KX3 and Mach4 compatability
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 11:27:00 PM »
Hi,
I think you could use Mach4. My suggestion would be to use one of the Mach4 capable external motion controllers which plug into your PC with
USB and connect to your machine with a DB25 plug. With such a device you could use Mach3 or Mach4, your choice.

The only thing which determines whether an external controller can run Mach4 is if the manufacturer has got around to writing the software
plugin required to 'translate Mach4 to device output'. At this time there aren't many but the ones who have made the effort have been around
a long time and produce really solid products.

Try searching:
Warp9
PMDX
CNCdrive
PoKeys
VitalSystems
CSlabs

Probably not an exhaustive list but certainly every name on it is respected by CNCers.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
Re: KX3 and Mach4 compatability
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 02:31:24 AM »
The leafboy controller will not support mach4 it will only support mach3 and probing is suspect  >:D

Yes you can replace the controller with a ESS and c25 plus a few relays to keep it safe ( the spindle on my Kx1 ) wanted to start on switch on )

My Kx1 runs fine on mach4 much smoother than before

Note the USB from smoothe stepper at this time is only mach3

The only problem is the knitting do not trust the tags on the cables and they are all the same colour

Download the manual for your controller from leafboy it will tell you what cable is what note you have 9 limits to contend with

Sorry I cannot help with the relays as you system is slightly different from mine but it's the signal that control the spindle direction one inhibits the spindle until mach4 is fully in control the other helps with CW/CCW.

If you go with these parts note the port two on the c25 the inputs are inverted