Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:43:38 PM

Author Topic: change the mother board to a Mach4  (Read 3432 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: change the mother board to a Mach4
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 10:00:01 AM »
I highly recommend you read our FAQs page. It's a pretty short read and has lots of good information. You may find the "Where do I start? Are there Steps?" FAQ in particular very helpful.

http://www.machsupport.com/help-learning/f-a-q/
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 11:04:19 AM »
Thanks Chad

to OP I don't know your name so

Why so long you need to get all the parts its not just going to be  as you say a mother board there are drivers for the motions to contend with as well as compatibility errata to fight with course its doable anything is if you throw enough cash, time , resources and not least the knowhow to pull this mod off and have it perform as you wish

now correct me if I am wrong here is this a production machine given the cost and size they look very nice bits of kit if so bite the bulet and get the company to upgrade it swallow hard and pay up when it does not perform as you want the get on the phone and let them do the graft
with the size of the machine you may need the industrial version at $1400 thats just the licence
sorry to be a wet blanket but thats industry

I am afraid if its your bread and butter pay up

but if you go ahead ask away but there are no guarantees your questions can be answered from afar

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 11:52:20 AM »
One last thought of the day

If you go ahead and this machine earns your bread and butter then when I'd goes wrong you are the service engineer
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 03:01:28 PM »
Hi,
that is a substantial machine. Unlike Stuart I think it looks doable, the four driver boards along the top look like stepper drivers to me.
I could be wrong but there appears to be no encoder feedback cable that I would expect with servo drives. Can you post up close pics
of the axis motors?

The large board to the lower left looks like the spindle drive board. If we can work out what the spindle is it might be possible to reuse that
as well. Can you post pics of the spindle motor including the nameplate? Close up of spindle drive board would help.

The cost of changing to Mach4 will be largely dependant on whether existing motors and boards can be reused.

Is this machine for commercial use?. If so an industrial licence, $1400, is appropriate, add $600 for a PC and probably another $400 for an ESS
and couple of BoBs. About $2500 without changing any motors and/or drives...

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'