Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:59:49 PM

Author Topic: Connecting MPG's  (Read 3809 times)

Connecting MPG's
« on: February 21, 2017, 07:42:40 PM »
Hi Guys
I have a lathe that I am upgrading to the HiCon Motion Controller. I have most of it sorted out in my mind with regard to connecting inputs except for my MPG's
I have two MPG's - one dedicated to x axis and one for the Z axis.
The MPG's run on 5 volts and have the following terminals; A+, B+, A-, B-, 5V and 0V.
My question is what port / connections on the HiCon should I use to connect these to, and being 5V is the something special I need to do to connect them such as resistors or such?
Thank You
Steve
Re: Connecting MPG's
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 11:12:08 AM »
Hello Steve,

With our HiCON Integra, the easiest way to connect an MPG to the system is to use the MPG06 that we provide on our website because it's pretty much plug and play.

Otherwise, you'll need to hook up your MPG's encoder input to either J11 for a differential encoder, or J6 for single ended. Aside from that, if your MPG has selector switches, you may connect those to the digital inputs.

For configuring the MPG settings for Mach4, see the Mach4 Integration manual available on the HiCON Integra webpage.

-Marc
Vital System Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 01:29:03 AM »
Hi Marc
Thank you for your reply. I still need a little help here though, I don't want to make a mistake that might damage my Integra.
I have two MPG's - one for my x axis and one for my z axis ( I have a lathe and the MPG's take the place of the standard hand wheels - they are built into the lathe and I don't need a separate pendant).
On my current motion controller each of the MPG's connect with two wires for the signals - A+ and B+ (plus the power connections - 5 volts) I think this means they are single ended - is that correct?
So I will need to have 4 inputs for them to work - I can connect one of them to the J6 port - can I just connect the other one to the J10 port with out needing the whole pendant connecting to mpg pins as in the manual?
Thank You
Steve
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 11:07:06 AM »
Hello Steve,

Yeah, you can connect to the the J10 port. You would have to use a DB15 plug to access the connections though. The pin out can be found on the HiCON Integra user manual.

And yes, it looks like the encoder you're using is single-ended.

-Marc
Vital System Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 02:01:31 PM »
There are built in resisters on J6 and J10.  so you may not need external 3.3K.  try a lower value or no resister if 3.3k is giving trouble.

Please keep in mind, these pins are going directly to the FPGA which is a 3.3v device.  so any static discharge through these encoder pins may damage the unit beyond repair.  So need extra precaution when working with these pins.  Also use a shielded cable for mpg and tie the shield to 0v at one point.  the MPG06 on our website is a good setup for J10.

regards,
Rufi
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 03:35:21 PM »
Rufi, is this true on ALL integras shipped or are there older versions without those resistors? The manual mentions the board WILL be damaged if 5v is used on those pins on J10. Please confirm.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 08:56:28 PM »
The built in resisters are for pull up and pull down on J6 and J10.  There is no series resister.  so If you take 5v from a power supply and feed into these pins, it will damage the unit. 

you can measure with a voltmeter if its below 3.6volts, you should be fine.  if more than 3.6v in on or off state, you should add a series resister between 560 ohm and 3k.

regards
Rufi
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 11:24:53 PM »
So you can operate the digital io on these pins by pulling the state to 0 because internally they are pulled up to 3.3v state? So a simple switch connected to any of these pins and to 0v will register a low state (and therefore a digital state change?
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 11:29:53 PM »
yes that's correct.