Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 06:01:02 PM

Author Topic: Need Help!!  (Read 1392 times)

Need Help!!
« on: April 28, 2017, 06:59:20 PM »
Hello, My name is George and I am a Fabricator living in Australia in sunny Brisbane. I am wanting to build a CNC Milling Machine to produce Accurate components in Aluminium with a good surface finish. I have purchased an Optimum Bf46 Vario fitted with Ball Drive Shafts. If you dont know, the BF46 is a Large, Sturdy heavy Desktop Mill. Approximately 650kg. Its designed in Germany and produced in China to German Specifications.
     I need help choosing what version of Mach would suit my needs. Mach3 or Mach 4
     I need help choosing what Motion Controller/Breakout Board to choose. Vital CNC, CS Labs, PMDX, CNC4PC, etc....
     I need help choosing stepper, stepper hybrid or servo. and associated drivers.
  I am wanting components that are good quality. I would rather pay extra now and have less problems down the line.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

P.S. This is my first time on a forum. I dont even know if I am in the right section.

Cheers
George

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help!!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 02:55:52 AM »
Hi George,

Welcome.

Unfortunately there is no truly definitive answer to the questions you ask as it is all a matter of personal opinion.

My opinion (based on old, well tried and tested, stuff)...

WinXP OS
Mach3
Warp9 ESS
Gecko G540
Stepper motors

Others will, I am sure, choose an entirely different set of products.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help!!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 03:37:21 AM »
Not very different, really:
Windows 7 (because it works fine and is easier to come by)
Mach3 V.062 (and NOT the latest V.066!)
Warp9 ESS (definitely)
Homann Designs MB-02 break out boards (2 off)

Now motors ... I think steppers will have enough grunt to drive a machine of that size. You would probably need the largish size of stepper, and a 3:1 toothed belt reduction using GT2 belts ( I suggest 9 mm wide) is always good.

Alternately, DC servo motors with 512 line encoders and Gecko G320 drives and a 3:1 GT2 belt reduction WILL work fine - I use them myself.

Putting all this together from scratch ... hum ...
Can I suggest you ask Peter Homann at Homann Designs (Vic) for help. He can sell you almost all the bits you will need, and he offers very good local support.

Cheers
Roger