Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:25:51 AM

Author Topic: How to Diagnose Cutting Error Problem?  (Read 1351 times)

How to Diagnose Cutting Error Problem?
« on: May 01, 2017, 12:56:30 PM »
Is there any sort of list of steps to take to diagnose a cutting error problem?  Everything seems to be fine mechanically with my 2' x 4' router, it runs smoothly, etc.  But the parts I am getting are wonky. Circles are coming out egg shaped, or the machine tries to cut a figure "6" type shape, where it starts cutting wide, and then closes in to complete the circle.  I'm running Mach3, with a SmoothStepper, and haven't had a problem with this setup in three years.  Now, things are really messed up.  I'm just hoping to find an organized approach to figuring out the problem...

Thanks in advance!

-Taylor

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: How to Diagnose Cutting Error Problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 09:19:48 AM »
Is there any sort of list of steps to take to diagnose a cutting error problem?

Egg shaped circles are probably do to some axis mechanical problem 
and think the figure 6 may just be a lead in.

If the machine is accurate, mechanicaly good,and proper application of gcode provided,
the piece should come out correctly.

1. Just do some actual cutting tests on "simple " things like a cicle, rectangle / square
and see how accurate the machine cutting is with tooling, material and settings you will use.

Optionaly you can just trace the gcode pathing onto a surface with the machine running but no
depth of cut for a quick visual inspection.

2. For gcode testing, see how the gcode loads and that there are no errors, step thru the coding,
or simulate if sometyhing is more complex.

I backplot the gcode and review in CAD to check pathing, but one needs backplot software to do it.

RICH