Hello Guest it is July 21, 2019, 09:41:51 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 Turn - Use Y-axis to set tool height (turning on a 3 axis mill)  (Read 1510 times)

Hi All!  Long time user of Mach3 on my 3-axis mill. Have recently had success setting the mill up on a separate profile to do turning projects. I do not have a tool post, so I set the tools in the vice. My problem is that I must set the tool height with the Y-axis and Mach3 turn doesn't give access to move the Y-axis anywhere that I can find! I have to jump out to Mach3 Mill, set the Y, and then back into Mach3 Turn for every tool change. Have I missed it in the interface? Might there be an addon or wizard that could help? Bonus points if I could set up gang tooling for multiple tools and treat it like a tool changer!

Offline RICH

•  7,342 7,342
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 Turn - Use Y-axis to set tool height (turning on a 3 axis mill)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 08:00:22 AM »
You can add the Y axis to the turn screen. Think I did that for someone some time ago.
You can also use the mill screen to do turning.
BUT
A mill is not a lathe and I think the manipulation of code is not worth the trouble. Just my thoughts on the matter........

RICH
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »
Rich, thank you for the reply. Any chance you or someone can give me a push in the right direction on how to modify the screen?

I started using the mill screen for turning and that works well, but it does not support CSS. Utilizing 'Turn' allows me to use CSS which I really like.

Yes a mill is not a lathe....unless you don't have a lathe!  :-)

I am having good success in posting turning code from Fusion360 and running great. My only gripe is tool changes and if I can get the Y axis figured out, I will be a happy camper.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 12:18:38 PM »
So I've figured out 'MachScreen' editor and have modified the .lset to show the Y-axis. The files are attached.

Here's the basic setup...
Extract the py.bmp into the C:\Mach3\Bitmaps\TurnBitmaps
Extract the .lset into the C:\Mach3
Map the Yaxis jog buttons to your desired key. I use PageUp and PageDown. Select Config-->System Hotkeys

Once you get in Mach3 Turn, open the screenset by selecting View-->Load Screens and select the new .lset file

Enjoy and feel free to provide feedback.

Offline RICH

•  7,342 7,342
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 07:43:37 AM »
Modified screen set with  Y added read a some of the replies in the thread.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,13548.msg234493.html#msg234493

RICH