Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:31:10 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 Turn - Use Y-axis to set tool height (turning on a 3 axis mill)  (Read 4357 times)

Hi All!  Long time user of Mach3 on my 3-axis mill. Have recently had success setting the mill up on a separate profile to do turning projects. I do not have a tool post, so I set the tools in the vice. My problem is that I must set the tool height with the Y-axis and Mach3 turn doesn't give access to move the Y-axis anywhere that I can find! I have to jump out to Mach3 Mill, set the Y, and then back into Mach3 Turn for every tool change. Have I missed it in the interface? Might there be an addon or wizard that could help? Bonus points if I could set up gang tooling for multiple tools and treat it like a tool changer!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 Turn - Use Y-axis to set tool height (turning on a 3 axis mill)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 08:00:22 AM »
You can add the Y axis to the turn screen. Think I did that for someone some time ago.
You can also use the mill screen to do turning.
BUT
A mill is not a lathe and I think the manipulation of code is not worth the trouble. Just my thoughts on the matter........

RICH
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »
Rich, thank you for the reply. Any chance you or someone can give me a push in the right direction on how to modify the screen?

I started using the mill screen for turning and that works well, but it does not support CSS. Utilizing 'Turn' allows me to use CSS which I really like.

Yes a mill is not a lathe....unless you don't have a lathe!  :-)

I am having good success in posting turning code from Fusion360 and running great. My only gripe is tool changes and if I can get the Y axis figured out, I will be a happy camper.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 12:18:38 PM »
So I've figured out 'MachScreen' editor and have modified the .lset to show the Y-axis. The files are attached.

Here's the basic setup...
Extract the py.bmp into the C:\Mach3\Bitmaps\TurnBitmaps
Extract the .lset into the C:\Mach3
Map the Yaxis jog buttons to your desired key. I use PageUp and PageDown. Select Config-->System Hotkeys

Once you get in Mach3 Turn, open the screenset by selecting View-->Load Screens and select the new .lset file

Enjoy and feel free to provide feedback.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 07:43:37 AM »
Modified screen set with  Y added read a some of the replies in the thread.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,13548.msg234493.html#msg234493

RICH
So I've figured out 'MachScreen' editor and have modified the .lset to show the Y-axis. The files are attached.

Here's the basic setup...
Extract the py.bmp into the C:\Mach3\Bitmaps\TurnBitmaps
Extract the .lset into the C:\Mach3
Map the Yaxis jog buttons to your desired key. I use PageUp and PageDown. Select Config-->System Hotkeys

Once you get in Mach3 Turn, open the screenset by selecting View-->Load Screens and select the new .lset file

Enjoy and feel free to provide feedback.

There is no y axis in the tool table. any way to solve problem?

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
You could do a G52 Yyyyy where yyyy is the offset, at the end of that tool you would then do a G52 Y0.

E.g.

N1 (Rough Turn)
T0101
G52 Y1.5
G00 G90 Y0
(do the rest of the cuts)
G52 Y0
G00 X200. Y0 Z150.
T0100
M1
Without engineers the world stops
You could do a G52 Yyyyy where yyyy is the offset, at the end of that tool you would then do a G52 Y0.

E.g.

N1 (Rough Turn)
T0101
G52 Y1.5
G00 G90 Y0
(do the rest of the cuts)
G52 Y0
G00 X200. Y0 Z150.
T0100
M1
THANKS. IT IS PROGRAMABLE OFFSET AND IS OK FOR USE. IT IS BETTER  THAT USE MACRO FOR TOOL CHANGE.