Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 03:00:03 PM

Author Topic: General Offsetting Procedure  (Read 3021 times)

General Offsetting Procedure
« on: June 18, 2007, 12:30:30 AM »
Hi. Could someone please explain how offsetting the tool diameter works in Lazycam and Mach3? The only way I seem to succeed in getting a part cut to the right dimensions is if I account for the tool radius in the DXF file with an offset equivalent to the radius of the bit and set the Tool diameter DRO to 0.000. This works for outside layer cuts. For inner layer cuts, well, all I can say is I got it to work one time but I can't remember what I did. ::) Everything I've tried since is off by one diameter.

Also, is the G-code produced in Lazycam the path that the control point (i.e., the center of the bit at the tip) takes? if so, shouldn't the tool path change when a new tool diameter is entered into the Tool Dia. DRO and Regen Toolpath is executed?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  :P

Mike
Re: General Offsetting Procedure
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 12:58:52 AM »
would you believe the answer is yes and no

yes its the center but the offset is coded into the gcode when using pocket and offset.
Now comes the problem if you leave the orginal line in it will also generate g-code to cut that line also.
When you get done editing in Lcam there should be nothing but tool path lines, otherwise you end up with just what you described.

Wes
Have a nice Day
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:40:31 PM »
Thanks, Wes. I played around today with different settings in the Tool Table and learned a thing or two. Also re-read the cutter comp section in the Mach3 manual. Playing seemed to be a better teacher, tho.

Mike
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 01:02:39 AM »
its always make more sense while your trying to do something.  Just reading through them the first time kinda like water on a duck.

Wes
Have a nice Day