Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:56:06 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 on a laser cutter...  (Read 9804 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 on a laser cutter...
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »
I should perhaps mention that engraved items, such as this tree image (330mm x 280mm) can easily be laser reproduced by either Mach3 or Mach4 without generating (or using) any Gcode at all – they are produced directly by the motion controller which scans the specified .jpg image then outputs axis movement together with a PWM signal (to control laser power) relating to the relevant pixel value from the image. It may sound complicated but it is simple enough.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 11:22:06 AM »
 Hi   Tweakie,
 I now have my laser “cutting” very welll.    I was not aware that Mach3   Could be used for engraving.  So I am very interested in your comment, “ I should perhaps mention that engraved items, such as this tree image (330mm x 280mm) can easily be laser reproduced by either Mach3 or Mach4 without generating (or using) any Gcode at all”.

Could you point me to where I can learn more about this  process ?
Thank you,
Chuck

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 03:09:11 PM »
Wmgeorge,Since I have no experience with laser yet, I stand to be corrected on the following......could it be that you may have been running the cnc through  a printer port ? If so, could this be limiting the response speed?
marting

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 01:59:15 AM »
Hi   Tweakie,
 I now have my laser “cutting” very welll.    I was not aware that Mach3   Could be used for engraving.  So I am very interested in your comment, “ I should perhaps mention that engraved items, such as this tree image (330mm x 280mm) can easily be laser reproduced by either Mach3 or Mach4 without generating (or using) any Gcode at all”.

Could you point me to where I can learn more about this  process ?
Thank you,
Chuck

Hi Chuck,

The attached copy draft document details the Mach4 laser setup when using the Warp9 ESS motion controller. You will note that a small Gcode file is used to set the laser origin and define the parameters but no Gcode is used to raster the image.

Check out the laser thread for details of using Mach3 but be warned it may be a long read. http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,12444.0.html

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:20:41 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 08:21:45 AM »
I was using GRBL USB and a blue light diode rated at about 3 watts.  It was like watching paint dry, it did line by line and the gcode file was large for what needed to be done. Yes I am sure the Warp9 ESS way would work if Tweakie says it does. But I gave up and went back to using my commercial co2 machine.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R Service and lots of Hobbys.
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2018, 01:38:08 PM »
Hi guys, ..... first of all I'd like to send my greetings for the festive season to all you people who make up this great family.
So, after some while on radio silence, I've been doing work on my second build and as promised attached are some photos of my progress so far. Nothing out of this world but if this gives ideas tto other poeple then the purpose of sharing would have been reached.
So far I have installed all servo motors, homing and limit switches, drivers electrical system, lubricating tubes to all ball and linear bearings. The 130W laser is on its way and is due to arrive in mid / end February along with the power supply, cooling temperature controller and the whole lot.
Furthermore I've done a dry run and checked the total working volume and all is so far as planned.
Anyway below are the pics.
Regards
Marting