Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:32:54 AM

Author Topic: importing DXF files  (Read 3643 times)

importing DXF files
« on: December 01, 2005, 12:23:25 PM »
Hello,
When importing dxf files, how do you get mach 2/3 to compensate for tool diameter?, how do you get it to know if the profile yoou want to cut should be cut from the inside or the outside?
I guess one way arount it is to offset the geometry in a cad program so the new geometry follows the center of the tool, instead of the outline of the geometry you want cut.
Regards
Fernando
Re: importing DXF files
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 07:58:16 PM »
You are going to have to draw the lines to offset for the tool in your cad system OR you can try to code in a comp move by hand (This is NOT simple!).

Hope that helps
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
Re: importing DXF files
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 02:25:44 PM »
I also am in a similar situation knowing very little about cam . I recently built a machine modelled after Joe's 2006 designwith minor mods .

I am currently finishing assy of a "hobbycnc" controller, all being well that should be finished this coming week.

So I will most likely try the trail version of Mach3. Through osmosis I know that the machine and solftware should be able to produce from a DXF drawing .I have produced a DXF drawing of a fret I would like to make .

The problem the fret has several levels and the drawing is basically two dimensional . How does one program the machine to machie the fret to the required levels. Do I need to redraw the drawing designating each level as a separate layer ?..... appreciate any help