Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:51:07 AM

Author Topic: now do I configure mach4 for second motor on Y axis  (Read 2464 times)

now do I configure mach4 for second motor on Y axis
« on: February 24, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »
Ox CNC
gecko g540
PMDX 411  motion controller
Mach4 3233
Windows 7

sorry for such a basic question, but I have not been able to find an answer in the documentation or the videos.

I am on an ox CNC which has two Y axis motors.  I can"t find where to tell mach that the motor plugged into motor A is the second Y axis

Also when I jog, it is very slow and haven't found how to regulate that speed

Chaslie

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: now do I configure mach4 for second motor on Y axis
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 06:01:34 PM »
On the axis mapping tab of the configuration dialog.  Simply choose a second motor for the Y axis. 

There is no such thing as motor A.  Motors are numbered.  Axes are lettered.  An axis represents a plane of motion.  This motion can be driven by 1 or more motors.  This is an important distinction from Mach 3.  You no longer have to sacrifice an axis to have multiple motors. 

Steve
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 06:25:20 PM »
Ok, i guess I miss-spoke.  I said motor A and I should have said Axis A.  I went to the Mach Configuration Axis Mapping tab thinking that is where I would set it up.  I want Motor1 and motor3 to be assigned to the Y axis.    Does that make more sense? 

On that screen it only seems to allow a single motor to be assigned to a specific axis.  I thought that maybe motor3 would be a slave of motor 1, but that won't work ether because I don't seem to be able change anything in the Slave column.

Am I even in the right area to be setting this up?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 06:54:24 PM »
Ok I admit it, I am far from the brightest crayon in the box.  The reason I couldn't assign the slave to the Y axis is that it was still assigned to the A axis. Corrected and it works fine.  At least I was in the right ball park.

Now to figure out how to make the motors  move at something faster than evolution.

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 07:42:23 PM »
That would be on the motor tuning page.  The velocity setting.  That will be the maximum velocity that the motor will do.  e.g. your rapid velocity.  The jog rate can then be set as a percentage of this max velocity.

Steve