Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:50:29 PM

Author Topic: Offset image in tool path window  (Read 2603 times)

Offset image in tool path window
« on: February 25, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »
I am not sure what this indicates, but when I did a "dry run" on one of my gcode files, the tool path window seemed to show the work offset from the path.  Look at the image below to see what I mean.  I've tried to find a setting that would explain this, but being so know to Mach4, I did not find one.

Re: Offset image in tool path window
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 12:44:28 PM »
Maybe the link did not work.  If not, I am not sure how to attach an image.

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 04:10:04 PM »
After you set a work offset, you will have to regenerate the tool path. 

Steve
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 09:03:33 AM »
As evidence of how green I am, it took me this long to figure out how to do that. 

Thank you very much.

Offline Pedio

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 08:05:57 AM »
If you reset your zero point for your work piece after you load your Gcode file the tool paths run will be different than the ones originally caculated by M4. I don't know if this is a bug in M4, but it is not the way I would expect it to operate. The tool paths should probably be recaculated after I reset the zero for the work piece. I am sure it can be fixed with a script for the button...

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 02:07:12 PM »
Typically, one sets the offset BEFORE loading the G code file.  In other words, pick up your part zero first.  Then load the G code.  It isn't a bug but rather just how it works.  If you change your work offset, just hit regen tool path.  You can automate that with scripting, if you wish, but why?  Just press a button!  :)

Steve

Offline Pedio

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 04:13:58 PM »
Is there ever a case where you would want to move the offsets without regen-ing the tool path?

Just asking,
P

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 04:38:09 PM »
Yes.  If you want to set multiple fixture offsets, say G54, G55, G56, and G57, and don't want to constantly regen the tool path for each one.  Or just setting the G54 X, Y and Z offset one at a time.  Do you want the tool path to regenerate three times?  Or just once by pressing a button after you set all of the offsets?

The screen is flexible enough so that you can make it do whatever you want.  There is nothing set in stone.  However, it is setup for normal workflow by default. 

Steve