Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:34:37 PM

Author Topic: CNC lathe  (Read 13066 times)

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: CNC lathe
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 11:40:56 PM »
Hi, Bob

Run the Mill a few time's, Load some other files, Then run lathe again.

I've had this happen several time's, Haven't been able to trace it to anything except when edditing G-code Files.

It will sometimes do it in mill with a view screen Error Msg., Wth blank screen.

No real answers Hear, Chip 

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2007, 12:54:03 AM »
I'll have to admit, the toolpath display is not ALWAYS correct, you can get some quirky stuff there at times, but quite often it is an arc that has the wrong IJ, or direction, etc. If the part you are trying to machine is quite simple then the toolpath display will probably be right, but if it's complex, just trust your code and go with that. On another point, have you tried the wizards yet? These are great for 75% of the parts you might need to machine, you can combine different ones into the same code as well. You'll find the one thing missing is a G71 roughing type canned cycle, this will rough out an arbitrary shape you call out. You can post a DXF into it and it will post out the code for the profile, but it's not much use without some way to rough it out first.
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 11:44:10 AM »
Roberto,

Any further updates on your lathe? Still happy with everything? How has it been running?

Thanks

Dan.
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007, 01:19:21 PM »
Dan,  I am very pleased with the lathe.  I had one very minor problem, the controller would not turn on consistantly. I have to wiggle the switch to turn it on. After a little playing around I found that it was the power on switch.  I called Richard at Syilamerica and he has a new switch on the way. I have been doing a lot of playing around to learn the best way to do things as this is my first CNC lathe.  I did a lot of checking on the accuracy and playing with the tuning of the motors, but Richard called the company that makes the ball screws and found out the exact TPI of the screw.  ( We weren't sure before.)  So then we could calculate the number of steps in the tuning.  And lo and behold it was exactly the same number I came to by doing a lot of trial and error measurements.  That was very comforting.  I have turned out a few parts and I am really pleased with the very smooth finish on them.  I checked them and found the dimensions were all to within .0005 inches or as close as I could measure them.  When I made these parts by hand, it took about 15 minutes to do one operation.  The CNC does it in 3min 19 sec.  I could push it a little faster but there is no need to do so.

I still do not understand exactly how to set up the tool offsets.  I try to follow the instructions as best I can, but it is still not correct.  I am leaving for a 2 1/2 week trip to the Ukraine on Sunday and so do not have time to try until I get back.  I will contact you then and see if you can help me out.

Thanks,  Bob