Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:33:27 PM

Author Topic: Trispokedovetiles: CNC code to cut tiles  (Read 12026 times)

Re: Trispokedovetiles: CNC code to cut tiles
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 11:24:24 AM »
Thanks Tweakie. The word I was looking for is Tessellation or Escher Tessellations. A lot of interlocking puzzles that would be fun to cut out.
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2017, 05:25:09 PM »
Tweakie, the code you sent worked great. The pieces fit together very well. I'll get a few more cut and post some pictures.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2017, 01:21:28 AM »
Hi Jammerm,

Pleased to hear that they fit OK, looking forward to the pictures.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »
I'm having some trouble with the cut. I'm using 3mm plywood from the hobby shop. It must have hard spots or knots on the inside layer. I've broken 3 bits. I'll have to go back to the store and get some thin basswood.
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 11:30:15 AM »
I'm having some trouble with the cut. I'm using 3mm plywood from the hobby shop. It must have hard spots or knots on the inside layer. I've broken 3 bits. I'll have to go back to the store and get some thin basswood.

I'm trying to cut these with a .0312" router bit and am having trouble with the fit up. The pieces are loose an not fitting tight. I've tried to offset the cut and it's worse. I guess I don't quite understand the way offsets work. I also have some new 1mm bits I could try out. I guess they are about .0394".

I've never used a CNC router myself but I've done a fair bit of DIY in my time and have broken many a 1mm drill bit. Even 2mm drill bits are quite easy to break unless you are careful.

I suggest that rather than break some more 1mm bits you use a thicker router bit. Maybe about diameter 3mm or 1/8th inch - 0.125" maybe.

My webpage - (which is taking a few minutes to load up because the free hosting server is overloaded)
http://scot.tk/trispokedovetiles/trispokedovetiles-CNC.htm

(Once you get it loaded up it might be an idea to "save page as.." and run the webpage locally in future)

Anyway that "Trispokedovetiles: CNC code to cut tiles" webpage has got an option to generate CNC code for router cutting for any size of router bit, though you must input the dimensions in mm.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:32:08 AM by Peter Dow »
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 12:01:31 PM »
Anyway that "Trispokedovetiles: CNC code to cut tiles" webpage has got an option to generate CNC code for router cutting for any size of router bit, though you must input the dimensions in mm.
Correction. You must input the size of the HEXAGON in mm and all other dimensions such as tool path diameter as a percentage of the HEXAGON size.

Adjust TOOL PATH diameter equal to the rotary tool diameter minus the tolerance.

So if your HEXAGON was say 50mm then your "tool" percentage for a 3mm diameter router bit with say 0.2mm tolerance would be
Tool path diameter = 3mm - 0.2 mm = 2.8mm
2.8/50 x 100 = 5.6%

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 02:33:52 PM »
If you find a problem with scot.tk pages, like this

https://scot.tk/trispokedovetiles/trispokedovetiles-CNC.htm

(while I try to switch web hosting services to a better host) use instead this

https://scottishnationalstandardbearer.000webhostapp.com/trispokedovetiles/trispokedovetiles-CNC.htm (even though that's the old dead slow host that's not working well)

Or try this one

http://peterdow.scienceontheweb.net/trispokedovetiles/trispokedovetiles-CNC.htm

Look sorry about this lack of service at the moment but there's a lot of mucking about with free web hosts until you find something that works.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:46:46 PM by Peter Dow »
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »
Thanks Peter, I have the page and have been playing with it. I bought the 1mm bits to cut wax patterns for lost wax castings, so I don't want to break anymore.
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 07:25:34 PM »
OK. Keep me posted.