Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:36:41 AM

Author Topic: New build, stepper motors very jerky  (Read 1680 times)

New build, stepper motors very jerky
« on: December 17, 2016, 12:03:02 AM »
Hello everyone, new user here with a problem. I have configured steppers before, but first time with Mach and Pokeys57cnc board.

I initially built a Routakit with a PlanetCnc board and Posteps 25-16 drivers. I got smooth motion from that setup, but realized I wanted Mach 4. So before I finished the build I bought the Pokeys controller and Mach 4. The controller is plug and play with the drivers and using the Posteps program I get smooth motion from all axis with the new electronics. But Mach 4 will produce extreme stuttery and jerky motion. Steps/unit have been set with a range of 3 and 14 in/sec2 tried. Tried jogs from 10 to 300 in/min. My first thought is low CPU performance. I loaded Mach in my shop laptop, which is a Core Duo 1.6GHz, 4GB ram. Is there a way to verify this before I buy a new laptop? Thanks for any help you can give.

Jason
Re: New build, stepper motors very jerky
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 06:35:07 AM »
Try borrowing a computer from someone with the proper specs and try it out. It shouldn't take more than 1 hr to install Mach4 and copy over your profile.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
Re: New build, stepper motors very jerky
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 06:12:37 PM »
Ok, different laptop tried and motors run smoothly. I have to wait for Monday to get a license for that one (I bought from a reseller and can't use Artsoft manager). Now to debug limit and home switches.