Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:28:22 PM

Author Topic: Error 7 in Mach4 using PMDX-424 board  (Read 2395 times)

Error 7 in Mach4 using PMDX-424 board
« on: December 29, 2016, 12:26:02 PM »
PMDX-SmartBOB-USB communication status 'Sync'd to Device'Error 7 (Communication error) queuing HOME pkt for axis 'Z' motor 'Master' (id 2), aborting HOME cmdUnexpected homing request while Mach4 is disabled, ignoringUnexpected homing request while Mach4 is disabled, ignoring

Hi, I have building building a small xyz using Mach4 and the PMDX-424 board for my HS Physics Classes. Nothing fancy, just 3 step motors. I am in the process of getting communication debugged between the mill and the mentioned components. All of the limit switches per the Mach4 diagnostic screen are working properly when manually depressed, They are also working correctly on the SMARTBOB diagnostic screen when manually pressed. I can also manually jog all of the step motors no problems from the Mach4 control screen. I'm using a new PC with windows 10.

As I progressed, all of the sudden, when I started Mach4, I would have a Z-- limit trip in the communication line. Note, this was first thing when Mach4 came up, I did not do anything to cause the problem. Also this limit was NOT tripped. I cleared the error and tried to HOME the system. I then got error 7 as shown above in the first line of this post. I can clear this limit trip and it comes right back when I try again. I disconnected the Z limits and it still happens. The error above says the system is "disabled". I am assuming it is talking about the "ENABLE" button on the Mach4 screen and I do have it enabled...if it is disabled nothing happens...

I reloaded a fresh copy of PMDXSample and re-entered my parameters but I did not set the XY or Z ++/-- limits. I just set MOTOR 0 HOME to the appropriate limit switch input. Also did the same for motor 1 and 2.

When I boot Mach4 the initial Z-- trip is gone but I am still getting the error 7 when I try to home the mill.

About out of ideas. Any assistance would be helpful.
Thanks Keith
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 12:29:06 PM by Maginsky »
Re: Error 7 in Mach4 using PMDX-424 board
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 03:12:18 PM »
Hi Maginsky,
I don't have a PMDX board so may not be able to help much.

Your description suggests to me that the Z-- signal is being affected by noise. May I suggest disabling the signal in the plugin
and see if it makes any difference.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 07:26:46 PM »
Thanks Greg

I think I figured it out. In the installation, I installed the setup software that was marked PMDXsample. This worked until I started setting up the limits. Then it just fell apart and kept giving me the errors. When I went to reload the PMDX software, I just happen to notice there was another version PMDX424sample. The 424 matched my board number and...magic it started to work fine. I have yet to reset the soft limits if they work then i'm good to go!

Thanks again
Keith M.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 06:38:01 PM »
Sorry. In the blur between Xmas and New Years this one failed to get my attention.

Please do not rely on the MachSupport forum to reach PMDX for tech support.

We offer support via direct email, telephone, and by our forum here:

http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-Forums/

Your problems likely resulted from using the wrong profile. The PMDX-Sample profile
supports the series of SmartBOBs that directly mimic parallel ports, including using
signal assignments named after the parallel port pins. This series includes the
PMDX-410, 411, 412, 416 and 422.

The PMDX-424 has more I/O than a parallel port and we do not mimic parallel port
signal names with this board, but rather give them names like "Input 1". Trying to
run a PMDX-424 using a parallel port style profile will result in strange things happening
with the Inputs, and Outputs. The motor drivers will mostly work, but even there
special considerations apply because of the support for two drivers for "Motor 3".

If you are still having issues, please contact us on the PMDX forum.

Thanks,
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com