Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 05:59:27 PM

Author Topic: Enable my interface with a Wachdog Signal? Possible?  (Read 6647 times)

Offline beat

•  15 15
    • View Profile
Re: Enable my interface with a Wachdog Signal? Possible?
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 09:33:57 AM »
Hi Steve

if i have a parallel port on my computer then i can connect my interface directly to the computer. i bought the parallel plugin for mach 4 so i think it should working... or i`m wrong?
you use the ess just for the connection to Ethernet or?

Have a good day.

beat

Offline beat

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 10:03:33 AM »
Hi Steve

if i have a parallel port on my computer then i can connect my interface directly to the computer. i bought the parallel plugin for mach 4 so i think it should working... or i`m wrong?
you use the ess just for the connection to Ethernet or?

Have a good day.

beat

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 10:37:48 AM »
Beat

The parallel port on a modern PC is not the same as was in the days of yore the uart is not there anymore so AFAIK its more a emulated device now , yes it was the gold standard in the past when M3 was conceived but alas those days are gone , you would need a old pentimentum PC to be sure

Now for today's PC if you use a ( let's say a ESS ) then it will run on any PC with a Ethernet port  and most importantly give you complete electrical isolation between the CNC and your PC

They will run on W10 64 bit no trouble at all before you ask Mach 3 /4 are both happy on a 64 bit platform it's only the PP legacy device that need the 32 bit platform

So why not get modern and get a motion controller ( please not the Far East ones as some do not have all the function implemented e.g. G31 is not they do not report the variables correctly and cause havoc )

Warp9 are ok as are the ones from others from the USA

Please note I am a user of a ESS and not connected with the firm

I have recently ripped out the Far East card that was in my mill and mach3 and gone with mach4 ESS and a c25 problem was no wiring dia no labels and all wires the same colour   ???  Along with 9 proximity limits and 4 axis it was fun ,but worth it the mill is smother quicker ( with the same motor setting )

From the above it took a week to sort it out and to remove the mill manufactures bodges to get the PWM working and to stop the spindle going full pelt before m4 took hold of things ( it was dangerous if you turned on the mill before the PC was up )

Have fun but it's your choice what to do I can only give my opinion

Stuart

Offline beat

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 06:14:03 PM »
good evening Stuart

thank you for your inputs, i know exactly what you mean.
i think i buy the ESS the next Days, but bevor i will have one last try with my new computer.
my last beginner cnc machin was a tron + it was a self made machine where i`ve learned a lot.
the controller was also conectet to my parallel port and the machine was working more or less well.
but i like the thoughts to control the machine over the Ethernet port. i think it`s definitly more serious
just a question from the money.

i wish you a good day

kind regards

beat

Offline beat

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 06:00:47 PM »
Good Evening

Today i received my new Computer.
the Computer is a Windows 7 64bit machine.
First i`ve started my installation from Mach4, everything was fine and Mach4 was running without a problem.
then  ::) i want to install my parallel port plugin and ou no, it was not possible because of a visual c++ runtime problem.
i found out, the legacy parallel port is running only with windows 32bit.
ist this true or can i download everywhere a plugin for windows 7 64bit?

if not, which plugin i need for the above described Smooth Stepper Ethernet?

thank you all for your help, i`m confident that the machine works soon.

kind regards

beat

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 03:55:41 AM »
AFAIK there is no 64bit parallel plugin as the ports are 32bit thus most new computers dont normaly have one., the ESS will work fine and the driver can be found at http://warp9td.com/index.php/sw#PluginEssMachFour

DazTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 10:06:07 AM »
In the process of fighting viruses, Microsoft has built all 64 bit versions
of Windows, and also all versions of Windows 8 and later, with security
that does not allow direct access to the parallel port. This makes
it impossible for Mach4 or other applications that generate real time
signals to be able to use the parallel port properly.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

Offline beat

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 01:40:02 PM »
Hi guys
Thank you for your help.
Now i have my smoot stepper and everything is working fine. Very nice is, the smooth stepper has 3 parallel ports now i'm searching for a handwheel which is working with mach 4. I have opened a new tread for this topic. Maybe sombody can halp me again  8)
Kind regards
And thank you for all ;)
Beat