Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:29:51 PM

Author Topic: PowerMax30 THC - DIY with MACH3  (Read 4891 times)

PowerMax30 THC - DIY with MACH3
« on: November 27, 2016, 04:54:13 PM »
Dear Friends

i bought second hand PowerMax30 of hyperterm

i built a cnc table with it but i want to attach THC.

i dont have the money to buy many THC controllers and i am looking for DIY electric board working additionally with MACH3 .

problems:

1. where i am finding DIY THC electric board?
2. to where should i connect it in the plasma? (attached electirc scheme of the plasma)
3. what should i do if i dont have feedback "arc ok(GOOD)" from the plasma? what i am using instead?
4. how should i connect all to MACH3?

thanks a lot to all

Best Regards

ASAF

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: PowerMax30 THC - DIY with MACH3
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 02:24:25 AM »
Look into the Proma THC - its budget and probably your best option i think.

You have to connect into the live torch feed which needs to be carefully done as high voltage.

It provides the arc-ok signal.

Connects to Mach3 via inputs on the breakout board.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 02:44:43 AM »
Dear DAVE

thanks

i thought doing what you are saying

but it will give me the voltage only, i dont know if there is a signal (wire)  for "arc ok" also, correct me if i am wrong please.

if you are using only the voltage as "arc ok" somehow, please explain.

second, i need to divide the voltage that supposed to fit to mach, do you know to what range of voltages? do you know electric diagram (attached example) fit to it?

thanks a lot

Best Regards and have a nice day

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 03:28:09 AM »
The Proma unit divides the voltage internally, does the calculations and outputs signals for UP, DOWN, ARC-OK

Its a useful unit for budget machines but fails on fast tables - on a 30XP you will not be going fast.

http://proma-elektronika.com/index.php/en/products/thc-torch-height-control/compact-thc-150
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 03:43:46 AM »
Dear Dave

Thanks a lot

i know about PROMA

but i thought maybe i can avoid from "Unnecessary financial expenses"

BEST REGARDS
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 03:57:43 AM »
It is only an unnecessary expense until you spend 10 times as much time/money to make it work.

I just helped setup a machine using this package;
http://www.vitalsystem.com/portal/cnc/motion/plasma.php

What a joy to use and I was able to get it configured in less than a day. I consider this a major accomplishment since I have never worked with CNC plasma until I started working with this install.

It is using the PROMA THC-150 as the THC and what a nice little device it is. Just be careful of the high voltage on any THC. We don't want to lose any or our CNC friends!

Mike

P.S. I now have PLASMA ENVY!
I guess the only solution is to start building a CNC plasma cutter of my own!!!!!
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 04:17:18 AM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D

THANKS A LOT MIKE

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 04:35:34 AM »
Dear Dave

Thanks a lot

i know about PROMA

but i thought maybe i can avoid from "Unnecessary financial expenses"

BEST REGARDS

That really is about bargain basement as far as THC goes I think, its fine on smaller tables or ones with lower power systems but it cant track at high speeds, this is where it fails.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 04:45:02 AM »
That really is about bargain basement as far as THC goes I think, its fine on smaller tables or ones with lower power systems but it cant track at high speeds, this is where it fails.

Hi Dave, What is the dividing line between low speeds where this device will work and high speeds where this device won't work? I don't want to buy this when I decide to build my own CNC plasma and be dissappointed.

Thanks,
Mike
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 04:50:46 AM by TOTALLYRC »
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 06:35:30 AM »
I found it worked ok on my little plasma table with the 30XP but was not happy on the bigger table with the PM45.

I don't have the book for the 30XP but what ever the max cut rate was it could just about handle, not on corrugated sheet but on the usual warp it might see.