Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:28:34 AM

Author Topic: Bridgeport Series II CNC Retrofit "shopping list"  (Read 14918 times)

Re: Bridgeport Series II CNC Retrofit "shopping list"
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 11:07:24 PM »
would i be advantaged to go with digital encoders? How would i go about finding ones that would be suitable for these motors? It seems going with digital encoders would allow me to purchase a wider variety of controllers.
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 01:38:57 AM »
This should also work, correct? http://www.a-m-c.com/download/datasheet/30a8.pdf
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 07:02:06 AM »
This should also work, correct? http://www.a-m-c.com/download/datasheet/30a8.pdf
Those are rated so much lower than what the motor is rated at they will not give the desired performance. The drives need to be rated for what the existing transformer puts out or you will destroy them. Using a voltmeter find out what the voltage going into the current drives is. Be careful!!!!!!!

Those motors probably have an optical encoder inside them along with a tach. You will most likely not need the tach. Optical or digital they are both incremental encoders which work with the Mach3/4 +-10v controllers.
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 09:14:46 AM »
Alright will do. Again I don't know what the underlying issue with my control is. Do the encoders ever fault?
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 08:39:42 PM »
Encoders can fault or fail. The older ones actually use a teeny tiny light bulb inside which can burn out

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 04:14:18 PM »
Alright, I hooked up my vfd today. The drivers are getting 105 volts.
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 04:27:37 PM »
You will need a driver that is capable of handling 105Vdc at a minimum. The ones you linked to earlier are only good for 80VDC.
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 05:11:46 PM »
the ones you linked originally would though right?
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 08:30:02 PM »
Yes they would.
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 09:55:44 PM »
Alright, so i just powered up my cnc and i get a " Emergency Stop Switch " error message, and for whatever reason when i try and ESC to clear it it does not go away. Any idea on how to fix this?