Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:14:31 AM

Author Topic: "Vintage" Screen Set  (Read 19630 times)

Re: "Vintage" Screen Set
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 01:50:23 PM »
man, i really want this for my old knee mill conversion but the screencomes up as a only some of the buttons and the majority of the screen is just black?
is the screen download bad or am i doing something wrong on my side?
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 07:56:46 PM »
1. If I press the 'Home' button after using auto tool zero, X and Y go home as they should and their DRO's show the

correct coordinates.
I don't have home/limit switches on my Z axis so it stays where auto tool zero told it to go, but the DRO will change to some

random number sometime.
This caused me to bury the tool in my work piece a couple of times.

When you auto Zero the Z axis, you're setting an offset for the Z axis. This offset is the position relative to machine zero

for the Z axis.

Then, when you Home the Z axis, it's setting machine coordinates for the Z axis to 0. If the Z wasn't homed before running the

auto zero, then most likely, your Z position will change.
Note that when you home an axis with no home switch, it will set machine zero to the current position of that axis.

The proper procedure should always be to home the machine first, then run the auto zero. Always set the axis to zero prior to

running the g-code, as homing after setting zero will most likely change the zero positions.

Soooo, you're saying it's operator error. I'm sure that's the cause of many of my problems.

Thanks Pythagoras
That would be perfect! I wonder if it is possible? Probably not.
Have you tried using this set?
Any feedback is welcome from all.

Maybe there is a VB method, but that is beyond me. I'm sure if the whole screen was made in the flash format that it would be

possible to have such rotating digits, but its been years and It would be a struggle to remember.
I wouldn't start a new thread this one would do fine. It creates more interest too.
Sorry I cant be much help these days, I only just checked in to see how people were progressing in the screen design

department. (Its another hobby in itself)

Yeah, I had to make myself stop playing around with screen design and start working with my machine.

man, i really want this for my old knee mill conversion but the screencomes up as a only some of the buttons and the majority

of the screen is just black?
is the screen download bad or am i doing something wrong on my side?

I think the background image might be in the wrong folder.
Here is a newer version. Just unzip it to your bitmaps folder.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 01:49:11 AM »
great!
works now
thanks
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 05:30:56 AM »
Good to hear!
I look forward to hearing some feedback.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 07:49:33 AM »
Soooo, you're saying it's operator error.
Well, since you put it that way, yes. ;)

It's really just a matter of understanding the relationship with homing, machine coordinates, and offsets, and what really happens when you zero an axis.

There's a pretty good video here that covers all these things. "Homing, Limits and Offsets" here: http://www.machsupport.com/videos/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:51:23 AM by ger21 »
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 04:36:20 PM »
Here is a bare-bones screen set I've been working on. It's loosely based on the physical control panel of an old NC turret punch press I operated some time ago.
The machine originally ran from a punch-card type tape strip and was later upgraded to a DOS based system.

I'm making it for my home-built machine. Because I'm a novice user, it has only one screen with the most basic features.

I'm thinking of adding another screen for a larger tool path view.
Are there any other must-have features you think I might need to add?
I'm currently adding features that use knobs instead of buttons.
Let me know if you have any ideas for other "themed" type layouts, or ways I can add to the novelty of this one.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

hello !

when i open your theme with machscreen, it tells me that some few files are missing (in the folder Blue N Gray),
car you update it with these files ?
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 06:40:27 PM »
Hey clemclem,

I'm not sure what is going on with that.The files are probably in the wrong folder.
 It has been a long time since I've done any screen set editing
 and the files I have here on my home computer are a mess.

When I go to the shop tomorrow I'll see if I can zip the final version. I've been using it for almost five years.
It has a "Run From Here" button
A "limit Override" switch, and a couple of other minor changes.