Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 05:51:57 AM

Author Topic: A axis acting as a spindle then toggle back to a rotary.  (Read 15093 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: A axis acting as a spindle then toggle back to a rotary.
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 10:28:23 AM »
When you grind will you be using live tooling mounted  the X axis of the lathe?

I need to look at your current configuration.

Do you info on the rotary in the manual?

RICH
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 10:31:25 AM »
I want to grind these diameters along the X axis having the rotary free winding at a certain rpm while the main spindle is running at 2000rpm. I will use a ½" crystallume endmill to cut on top center of the part and follow the tool profile in an X & Z motion. Same as the video shows.
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 10:35:24 AM »
I cant find anything in the manual I have about the rotary Axis. I have had it do cylindrical grinding but it does it in 3° increments and the machine in my opinion isn't real smooth going between that many lines of code. I would like it to function more like a lathe and just turn on the rotary, then follow the x y & z linear moves.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2016, 01:28:26 PM »
Take a picture of the rotary please and post it.
I am thinking the rotary is stepper motor driven. Additionally the X,Y,Z axes are stepper driven.

Also has any modifications / changes ever been done to the machine?

This is important,

RICH
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 02:00:51 PM »
No modifications have been made to the machine at the present time other than they had me tune the motors differently. Attached is a photo of it.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 04:19:42 PM »
Some considerations before we continue:

Before doing anything you need to check how accurate your machine is as this is going to be a grinding operation. I will assume that the
grinding wheel is say, 1/2" max. diameter.

The positional accuracy for the X5 is stated as <= to 0.0004".
Your grinding max pass would be only 0.0005" deep or smaller and a finish pass would be even less. Calculated axes resolution is 1/step
per= 1/10160= 0.0001" and doubt if will be that and would guess it's 0.0004" on the Z movementif your lucky. The Z movement will be following
the profile on center of the prepared work.

There is no spindle runout specification for the machine. Now now matter what you do to true up the grinding wheel it will have some runout. Lets
say 0.0002".

So that tells me the machine right from the start is not quite accurate to do what you want it to do.

Consider the grinding wheel. I will assume it's max diameter to be say 1/2". You will need to true both the sides and bottom of it before
grinding. You will not have a sharp edge ie; no radius on the corner so don't expect to grind to a sharp corner as was portrayed in your
posted picture.

Why I note the above is that you understand that grinding to some part tolerance with what you have may not satisfy desired end result.

Now you have wheel wear to consider and haven't the foggiest on what you can expect per pass. So you will need some compensation per pass
or need to check part dimensions to see what needs to be adjusted. During the actual grinding you would need to stop the machine.

How do you plan on touching off to locate the part from a home position? That would set a G54 for the current wheel based on the direction you
would start grinding.

What's all this B.S. you may ask?
You want someone to do a post processor for you and they need to know what coding needs be in place depending on what you want to do and how!

So think about the complete sequence / steps of how the qrinding operation will be accomlished. Any Macro # callout required will need to be
conveyed to them when / if required in the grinding sequence.

Just a few thoughts.....we didn't even get into the machine setup yet!  ;)

RICH
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 04:23:52 PM by RICH »
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 05:37:43 PM »
We manufacture carbide preforms. I
 Add +.030" to all diameters of my parts and the customer hard grinds them to finish size. I'm not at all worried about +-.003". We do this for furnace shrinkage and warpage. I will be using a ½" end mill to do the cutting. When we machine these tools they are in the "green" state. Similar to chalk consistency. If you watch the video on stilts
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2016, 05:40:56 PM »
Sorry, was typing syil and accidentally hit post on my phone. Anyways, if you watch the video on their website you will see what I'm trying to do. Is there a sample of this swapaxis ( ) macro I could forward to the company I have generate post for camworks?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 08:15:53 PM »
Is there a sample of this swapaxis ( ) macro I could forward to the company

They don't need the macro scripting that would provide for swapping the axes. They would only need to know
what macro's  ( like ie; M200, M201  ) will and when  be  called out in the gcode.

You have not confirmed that the mill spindle is servo driven and may use a vfd. I know nothing about about your machine.

Your X,Y, Z axis and rotary is stepper driven. I don't know anything about the spindle motor. That being the case you may not be able to use the swapaxis function. It won't work.

I watched that video by the way.

What exactly did you purchase. Surely you must be able to get the purchase order for it.
I would also assume that you have  some manuals for the machine.

We need to know the info or we will be going in circles and wasting my time.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2016, 10:21:42 AM »
Xyil provides an external controller with their X5 combo  machine and is currently listed on their site
as  a "HiCon 4 axis control board". They also provide other "optional" controllers.

Is that what you have?
I need the board number / information about whatever  controller board you are using.

Take a picture of your spindle and post it.
Take some pictures of the drives and boards inside the control box. Mack sure one can read any  labels of the drives and boards.

Till then,
RICH

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:35:51 AM by RICH »