Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:54:08 AM

Author Topic: A axis acting as a spindle then toggle back to a rotary.  (Read 14965 times)

Re: A axis acting as a spindle then toggle back to a rotary.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 12:26:36 PM »
Flanders, I have used a 4th axis in a sort of continuous mode by using commands like

G01 A1000000 X6 F(x)
(Then rather than rewind the axis I reset it to zero or any other useful degree)
G92 A0
(Then do one more rotation of A to complete the machining operation)
G01 A360 F(x)
(and then retract to clearance height or other housekeeping)
G00 Z1

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 07:43:20 AM »
I really appreciate your help Rich! I dont know a whole lot about scripting and macros. I know G-Code. I haven't been a CNC programmer in many many years. I do all of our Solidworks Designing here but I am still involved in our technological advancements and R&D. I am hoping with the right people someone would be able to give me a copy of this macro and point me in the right direction. I can get this little 4Axis machine to cylindrical grind however The code would be much shorter and easier to use. As is now is seems the Aaxis isn't real smooth between lines of code. It gets more pauses that I think it should. I'm not sure it the backlash is set to tight or the tuning of the axis is off. Again, Thanks for any help. It
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 04:54:16 PM »
Flanders,  I am not Rich, but my example was a snippet of simple hand written code that you could use to achieve your goal of doing something like grinding a cylinder.  

I'm no Mach 4 guru, but ultimately its always about getting the job done.  If you don't know your basic G-code (sounds like you did once) then learn it.  

G00 Rapid machine move at max machine speed.  
G01 Controlled speed move set by last F word or F word in line.  
G92 Set offset of one or more axis.  

In Mach 3 there is a button you can click on that brings up the G-codes with a fair description of each one.  I use it all the time.  There is another for the M-codes.  

I didn't try to attack the problem the way your were.  I just tried to offer a quick and dirty way to get the job done.  

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 07:43:40 AM »
Thanks Bob, I am well aware of my basic G-Code. I have been programming 4 & 5 axis machines for over ten years. What I am trying to achieve is not just one simple cylindrical shape. I machine carbide preformed cutting tools from the green state and then sinter them into the carbide you may know of. It is all custom stuff. I am dealing with multiple Step diameters. I am trying to get this machine to act like a turning center were I take an endmill down to size and let the rotary act as the chuck in a lathe. I'll then have the table work in the X & Z directions. I don't know anything about scripting or macros. My camworks reseller will develop a post processor for me to do this but he is asking for some sample code. only thing I am getting from this forum is about some swap axis macro. Where is it? can I get a copy of it? once I get these details I'll go back to them and have a post developed.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 09:31:57 AM »
mflanders,

I need to have some questions answered so I can better try to help you.

Do you currently use a Syil x5 combo machine?

Are steppers or servos used for the X,Y,Z  axes?

Is the mills spindle manually controlled or is a VFD used?

Do you have the 4th axis package and is it stepper or servo driven?

Assume you are using MAch3....What version?
Post your xml file that you are currently using.

Till then,
RICH
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:34:59 AM by RICH »
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 10:10:37 AM »
We have a Syil X5combo with the 4th axis add-on. We purchased one of these little guys as a test bed to see if couldn't handle our environment . It sat in one of our facilities in Farmington MI for almost a year and was never used. We had it delivered up to our facility in Northern MI and it sat here for another 6 months before I got sick of looking at it not running. I took it upon myself to utilize this machine. When I initially hooked it up the PC was bad. kept freezing up the machine. I replaced that and it seems to be working. Then the thing wasn't moving correctly in odd spots of programs. Come to find out the tuning was wrong on it. I since tuned it and it seems to be holding its coordinates. I'm not sure on the stepper or the servo motor. Cant seem to find it in the manual.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 10:12:11 AM »
only thing I am getting from this forum is about some swap axis macro
Where is it?
can I get a copy of it?

once I get these details I'll go back to them and have a post developed
don't think so ....be patient :)

You need to understand what swap axis does and what the limitations in using it are. I gave you the basics in my reply #9 and I also referenced a link in reply #4.
I also told you to read the topic.

Info on some of Simpson's Macro's.
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,11422.msg96092.html#msg96092

Here is a link to a board created by Simpson so the swap axis is done via hardware
and also macro's posted
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,11422.msg99637.html#msg99637

Also undestand that in those threads he was developing the ability to use the mills spindle to hold the part to be turned and swap to be able to do milling using
the 4th axis controlling its spindle.

That sid note that I siad the following:

The macro provides the proper scripting to do what you want to accomplish.
SO
You can't just copy something and use it unless it is correct for how your
machine is configured and what you want to do.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 10:18:27 AM »
I'm not sure on the stepper or the servo motor.

That's important to know and would make a difference. A stepper on the 4th axis is fine for indexing but sucks for
driving a spindle.

Later,
RICH

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 10:18:39 AM »
Thanks Rich. I really do appreciate the help. Did you watch the youtube video I originally posted? It is on Syils website actually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvKovZJn52Y This is basically what I want to be able to do. As of right now I'm not concerned with the caming action but if I could get one of these little machines to cylindrical grind then mill flats and such in an indexable fashion it could be huge for us. As of now we use $100,000-$500,000 machines. Again, This is just a test bed to see if we couldn't buy them, leave them set up and potentially just throw away when wore out.

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
I only need the 4th axis to rotate roughly 120rpm. The spindle should be a servo because it can operate at over 4000 rpm.