Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:43:42 AM

Author Topic: Coordinate Spaces - a Guide  (Read 8246 times)

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
Coordinate Spaces - a Guide
« on: October 26, 2016, 05:14:15 AM »
Hi all

I was playing around with some routines for touch probes and got myself into a tangle over the different coordinate spaces in Mach3. Now, I know the Mach3Mill manual says you should understand how the coordinate spaces work before just using the screen DROS to zero things - but how many do? Searching on this web site I was unable to find a simple and explicit guide to the coordinate spaces.

So in order to understand what I was doing, I sat down and wrote a full Guide to Machine Coords, User Coords, Workspaces, Offsets and everything. I learnt a lot! (Best way to learn something is to try to teach it.)

I have attached V1 of this Guide as a PDF.  Please read and send feedback. In due course, if it seems to be of use, it may end up in the Members Docs folder.

Cheers
Roger

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Coordinate Spaces - a Guide
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 05:28:08 AM »
Excellent work Roger, that certainly does deserve a place in our Members Documents section.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 09:12:56 AM »
Roger,

Thanks for posting and hope your are having fun doing the guide.
I will have some comments if you wish to incorporate them into your document.

RICH

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 03:52:03 PM »
Hi Rich

Comments and feedback eagerly sought, please.
More hidden parameters also sought.

Cheers
Roger

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 09:42:52 AM »
unable to find a simple and explicit guide to the coordinate spaces.

That is very true. There are "books" written on the subject.Every software manufacturer
has numerous manuals covering the material in different ways and presentation. Mach manuals
cover a lot of ground and forum replies usualy address a particular user problem. Manuals are usualy
written to inform the user about the software from a setup point of view and include the specifics of their commands / software. They are not meant to teach someone how to setup, how to code, and leaveS a "void" on the basis for it all. Frankly it's a difficult subject to "concisely" write about. Chapter 7 in the manual
was an try at it and leaves that void. The Mach Mill Manual took over 6 months to write.

how the coordinate spaces work before just using the screen DROS to zero things - but how many do?

Not most users and that is why you are constantly seeing the same variations on a theme for problems.
We have all been there! People don't read any more.....plug and play world, etc, etc.
BUT
Consider basics and terminology not understood, then different levels of automation and it can get
very confusing in short order.

More hidden parameters

Notice you have some of them noted.
Parameters ( Variables......) that is a subject in itself and would make for an interesting
write up.

You are smart to limit your write up to the Mill.
I use a modified screen set for the Lathe and started writing a user quide for it which over time
has become a manual. It has a section which concisely addresses Coordinate systems and will rewrite
/ modify for the Mill. You might consider using it.

For now, :)

RICH
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »
Nice guide.

I'd suggest a bit more explanation on absolute distance mode, maybe add the word "relative" before the word positions at the start of the second line and maybe an example of an absolute move with the tool at x0y50, and a move of g0y100 for both absolute and incremental, if you do an update on the guide in the future. (From a relatively new cnc non native user / enthusiast)
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 06:03:54 PM »
Hi Rich

You are smart to limit your write up to the Mill.
:-)
I did consider the lathe as well, but didn't go there for two reasons. Lathe use has it's own traps for the unwary, so I thought it would better to leave that for a separate doc. And I had the hope that understanding how it all works on a mill might make the lathe a little easier to understand anyhow.

I can't find your user guide for your screen set. I think I must be looking in the wrong places. Help please?

Cheers
Roger

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 06:09:34 PM »
Hi Robert

A bit more explanation for absolute and incremental modes - I see what you mean. Working on it. Thanks.

Cheers
Roger

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 07:26:33 PM »
I can't find your user guide for your screen set. I think I must be looking in the wrong places. Help please?

You won't find it because I deleted the thread. One of these days it will get posted.  ;D

I was just doing some work on the mill stuff you ya. Rest up........ ;)

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 10:51:13 AM »
Roger,

Comments in attached.

RICH