Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 07:48:55 AM

Author Topic: Need CNC beginning guide  (Read 2973 times)

Need CNC beginning guide
« on: November 19, 2016, 01:58:32 PM »
I am building wood CNC router but it is not finished yet.

Suppose, I have finished it, tested all stepper motors, limit & home switches with Mach3.

Then, need to start working in real time. But there, needs guidance to start making drawing of one line or a big design in CAD program TO real-time engraving.

Please suggest me the basic tutorials or articles or book to get started.

I want to think about the things to do before when my CNC machine will be completed.

Re: Need CNC beginning guide
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 08:55:08 PM »
start making drawing of one line or a big design in CAD program TO real-time engraving.
That is done with CAM software.

Letting people know your budget will help people suggest software.

Learning how to 'hand' write simple G-Code programs for a milling machine will help you understand how your machine works and how to trouble shoot your CAM generated programs.

_
~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 02:44:13 AM »
CNC Cookbook may be a good place to get started http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCCNCGCodeCourse.htm

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 03:25:11 AM »
Youtube is loaded with stuff on CAM tutorials, many different programs in use from basic drawing and sketch up to Illustrator etc, for an all in one CAD - CAM setup you probably won't get better than Vectric Aspire or one of the sub-variants - this will get you drawing, text, engraving, carving etc. InkScape is a great little program and its free, this will get you the ability to draw vector paths which is what is needed to pass on to a CAM program, something like SheetCam is a fantastic one for sheet work (not 3d) I use it a lot on the Plasma cutter.

I feel it only fair to let you know that in my opinion at least, CAD & CAM is one of the hardest parts of CNC to get right, this is where the learning curve starts - converting an idea in your head or a sketch on paper into G-Code that can run a machine to create that part is a big undertaking. The good thing is that it is a steep learning curve - once you get going it gets easier very quickly. :)

I have just started learning Fusion360 - a full 3d CAD / CAM app, but I would recommend starting on the easy end of the scale :)

As i said, YouTube is your friend here I think, also join some CAD forums etc.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 03:28:19 AM by Davek0974 »
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 02:44:06 AM »
Hi,
another useful learning tool is to use Mach3 Wizards. There are quite a few for basic stuff
like drilling bolt circles and pocketing and similar. They generate Gcode which you can run
but more importantly view to see how a Gcode program works.

Look under the 'Wizards Tab' and prepare to be impressed!

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 08:33:59 AM »
Purchase, read, study the book CNC Programming Handbook by Peter Smid.

There are many  CAD programs available to do 2D, some are free, a lot of cnc programs include one, they all have different
but similar interfaces. I don't think anyone can go wrong with CamBam for the money and gcode generation.

Learn to walk before you run and enjoy the learning curve,

RICH